Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW318 Coupe

Options
  • 29-08-2008 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Looking at buying one of these cars ? Does anyone have information good or bad about them. It is a 2 litre engine that does 32 miles to the gallon. Is that bad ? or average.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

any links to a particular car?

dont forget its a 143bhp car but a little on the heavy side so mpg will suffer from that.

but i like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

kceire wrote: »
    any links to a particular car?

dont forget its a 6 cyclinder 2 litre engine so there preety thirsty for what they are, ie. a 143bhp car.

but i like them.

It's a four cylinder not a 6. Not too thirsty and a hell of a lot nippier than the 1.9 it replaces.

In the E46 The 2.2l found in the 320 is the entry level straight 6.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Victor_M wrote: »
    It's a four cylinder not a 6. Not too thirsty and a hell of a lot nippier than the 1.9 it replaces.

In the E46 The 2.2l found in the 320 is the entry level straight 6.

i stand corrected then :o sorry!
    i have access to an 04 318 Ci and its pretty heavy on juice imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Best to go for the 16v 2L NG4 engine in the 318 as it is both more powerful and more economical than the 1.9L. A mate of mine had one and it always seemed to give 35+mpg and 40+ on long runs.

If you can get the insurance for a 325 then go for it, sometimes they are even cheaper than the 318's and are a far superior car to drive.

Model History:
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=36&

• Registered Users Posts: 33,767 ✭✭✭✭listermint

camo11 wrote: »
    Looking at buying one of these cars ? Does anyone have information good or bad about them. It is a 2 litre engine that does 32 miles to the gallon. Is that bad ? or average.

Im averaging 35>40 on mine. I like mine and it was a great choice , im happy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

had a 01 318 m sport it was very havay on patral at bast 28 mpg but is was one off the bast cars i have evar had had it from new in 01

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

xbox36016 wrote: »
    had a 01 318 m sport it was very havay on patral at bast 28 mpg but is was one off the bast cars i have evar had had it from new in 01

It wasnt you that had it..It was your mam...To let everyone know..He is talking out of his arse giving out advice that he doesnt even know is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

callaway92 wrote: »
    It wasnt you that had it..It was your mam...To let everyone know..He is talking out of his arse giving out advice that he doesnt even know is correct

So the advice he's giving is correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

camo11 wrote: »

If it's the 02-05 318i, it does 39.2 mpg in the official EU tests, if it's the current shape 318i then it does 38.2 mpg before 08 and 47.9 mpg from 08 onwards.

A 2.0 BMW 3 series that does low 30s mpg is a 320i from 00 or earlier(the E46 320i was initially sold with a 2.0 straight 6 until the 2.2 replaced it in March 01).

To get the most out of BMW motoring, you really need a 6 cylinder model, even though they're that bit heavier on juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 gezas

Excellent choice. Of course it will take a bit more petrol as usual cars (opel vectra, Peugeot), but that’s why it called BMW – the pleasure of driving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement