Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Brit/Irish.

Options
  • 29-08-2008 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,
    I'm trying to find my way around here, the site is massive and I got lost. I found this Martial Arts section purely by chance, so I thought it best to say hello here.
    I've done a few wierd things in my time and paid the price for my adventures. The Martial Arts saved me many times. I am retired now and I spend my time writing books.
    I hope I fit in around here and I hope my contributions are useful.
    Regards,
    Christopher Chance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

welcome along, thats cool. martial arts have never saved my life, nor have they got me any chicks. I want my money back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Welcome Chris. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Welcome aboard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Welcome glad to hear you found your training useful;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

hi like cris i also trained in martial arts i first started in 1976 with charles mack in london when in moved north i took up two other styles i still teach trad karate now and again over the years i have been lucky in not having to use it but in the late 1960s i was working as a barman in west london and it got me out of problems a number of times the only moan i have is that it has now turned into a sport and all the old moves have been forgoten or banned by the way i am now 68years old

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

getz wrote: »
    the only moan i have is that it has now turned into a sport

Given my lifestyle, regularly participating in sport is going to do more to extend my life than any amount of fighting prowess

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

and sport gives people a chance to see if there art actually works or not. Many dont and dont realise it because they dont get the chance to use it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

karate as a sport is very limited you will learn far more by doing a kata also the problem with fighting it always puts off the weaker boy or girl from taking it up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

getz wrote: »
    karate as a sport is very limited you will learn far more by doing a kata also the problem with fighting it always puts off the weaker boy or girl from taking it up

You are right getz. In a karate context you are right as the sport element of karate is very weak (except for kyokushin karate). But doing combat sports like full contact kickboxing, muay thai, boxing and MMA is a true test of skill and character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

nor have they got me any chicks. I want my money back.

You should have a chat with Barry!! :)

Welcome to the board Chris.

• Advertisement

i often spar with english internationals and i notice how little they know about martial arts {unarmed combat} the problem maybe that the sport has rules so i will say again contact limits knowledge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mccaffertyt

""You are right getz. In a karate context you are right as the sport element of karate is very weak (except for kyokushin karate). But doing combat sports like full contact kickboxing, muay thai, boxing and MMA is a true test of skill and character.""

i'd like to disagree wit this comment sport karate isn't necessarily weak,it depends on your style of fighting and your trainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Hi Chris and welcome to the site.

Is this you by any chance? :D

http://www.chrischance.co.uk/?goto=home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Diarmey

Welcome,your name sounds like something from a action film judging by your bio you would give 007 a run for his money!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 chrischance

Hi Musashi,
    for my sins, that's me. I now spend my time writing about it instead of doing it.
    Lively here, isn't it.
    Regards, Chris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Were you teaching MA in the prison service prior to being incarcerated yourself? You've led a busy life by the looks of it lad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Don't feed the trolls guys. (now you, Chris)

No, I wasn't teaching in prison before incarceration. I had a dojo on the Costa and another inland. I accepted a salary to teach in prison as an inmate.

My movements are restricted because I am still on parole, but I hope to visit folks in Cork when I'm free... I'm still paying for my mistakes.

This is the only MA forum I have joined, you will not see me on any others. I am not trolling the MA forums. I spend my time writing and interacting with other writers and military types.
    I haven't got a class to teach, but I do have books to write and like you I like to relax and chew the fat with people who know what they're talking about. My interests are Martial arts, writing and the military, so that's where I relax. I don't have that much time that I can chip in every time I look around, but I like to read the arguments and comments in the forums.
    I understand if I am not welcome here.
    Regards, Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Looks like your welcome to me mate. I think Colm was referring to some of the other stuff in the thread. Sport Vs Street stuff. I think there was just an unfortunate typo in Colm's post I sure he will be along some and sort it if I'm right. Anyway welcome aboard I don't post here that much either, but it a good place to pop in and out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

D'Oh!

Sorry Chris. I meant to type 'not' instead of 'now'. I wasn't referring to you.

Please accept my apologies,
    Colm

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Seamus. I spent some time in N. Africa and I know a man who runs les sable you must be incredibly fit for that.

Apology accepted Colm. I was worried there for a while. Thank God for the League of Gentlemen (and Ladies) because that is how I view the world of Martial Arts.
    Regards, Chris.

Advertisement