Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth stones? Bit of help

Options
  • 29-08-2008 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya,

Hopefully this is the right forum for it.
    Basically I am considering getting some jewellery made out of my birthstone, which according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthstones) are;

amethyst (Traditional Birthstone, Modern Birthstone & Ayurvedic Birthstone), bloodstone (Mystical Birthstone)

Some places also indicate Jade as a birthstone. However, some are saying to be warey of wearing birthstones. The information isn't tood detailed.

If anyone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, or even indicate why it may be a good/bad idea I'd be very grateful :)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hi Will.

Working in jewellery, we always connected birthstones to a month rather than a starsign. Maybe this was for handiness. On this basis you are either Amethyst (February), or Aquamarine (March). Tbh, Id have to look up the characteristics of both, but the only thing that sticks in the mind is that Amethyst was used to counteract drunkenness.:p

My attitude is wear the stone if you like it. They are both beautiful crystalline stones, in purple and pale blue respectively. If they resonate and appeal, then they are for you. Otherwise go for something that you do like. Birthstones sometimes have a tradition for bad luck, say for instance with pearls and opals, but I always felt that this was because they were easily damaged compared to crystal stones. Unfortunately a myth of misery seem to have built up ancedotally around both. But my feelings are the same. If you like it, it is meant for you. Bad luck be damned. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Born Febraury 23rd, well counteracting drunkeness isn't a bad thing as I tend to over indulge on some ocassions. The bit about bad luck would put me off, I've a whole range of stone jewellery (onyx, obsidian and amzonite to name a few) and it never really dawned on me.

I've been having horrible bad luck as of late and well don't want to attract anymore than I already have :)

Any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 londubh

at the risk of sounding like a sceptic, birth stone lists were invented in the 1920's in a board room in america by a large corporate jewellery company.
    the principal being to sell certain stones in slow months.
    sorry if ive burst the mystery for you.
    go with the stone you are attracted to the most.
    if you're still not sure, then try handling them and see which one is most comfortable in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I hate to burst your bubble, but according to my Reiki Master, there isn't a lot substance to birth stones, as it is a man made phenomenon. My RM says that the crystal chooses you, and the fact that it is man made phenomenon is why there is a lot of contradictory information out there - I have found 3 stones for my star sign through various sources, so I tend to agree with him.

My listed birthstone is garnet, but I wear a lot of quartz, because thats what appeals. Why dont you go to a store that sells a lot of types of loose stones, handle them and choose a few? They are cheap to buy that way. I have often given larger worry stones to men, as they are practical to keep in your pocket. Hematite and tigers eye are good examples to have a look for.

• Advertisement

Cheers Oryx, irishamethyst thanks too.

Hmm ok, looks like ive to go do some more research and wander about to find something that feels right.

Will wrote: »
    Cheers Oryx, irishamethyst thanks too.

Hmm ok, looks like ive to go do some more research and wander about to find something that feels right.
    I have a brilliant book on crystals, Ill check for the authors name and post it, and if you need a synopsis of what any stone is about Id be happy to look it up for ya. :)

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I find the book "The Crystal Bible" by Judy Hall is a fab reference.

Advertisement