Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International AFL Tournament

Options
  • 29-08-2008 8:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

I see Ireland had a lucky win over Finland in the international tournament on at the moment, getting past the post in a 13.20 (98) to 0.0 (0) win. phew, close one there. Any one here know anything about the team or players? I know when I was in Australia they do take some of the players out there playing GAA to join up with the squad, so not sure if that still happens or if they are all from here that travel over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

There was a guy in here a while back who linked to their official website. Thread should be still around.

All looked very impressive. Would love to give it a go myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

just found the team details on AFL.com.au

http://www.sportingpulse.com/nfnn/team_info.cgi?id=9261888&c=1-5740-0-74955-0

mostly from the clubs here which is good to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 okarm26

arfli.com is the homepage for Irish Aussie Rules .
    Worldfootynews.com will have all the results/pics and links to the IC08 .

Sweden and Finland (2 wins) who are both in our group would be seen as the whipping boys of the group . The last game vs Canada is the game which will decide who will make the semis ( and face New Zealand ).

I'm guessing New Zealand will be a toughie?

The team itself is made up from players in the Irish league + a few guys who have played in the league and are now living and playing Aussie rules with local clubs in Australia .

Next International Cup is in 2012 so if any of yis want to give it a shout hook up with a club for next season and see how ye go , there's usually a few international friendlies each year and maybe a mini Euro comp next year .

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm guessing New Zealand will be a toughie?

They won last time around in 2005 , the Canadian game will be a toughie but I reckon we should nick that , NZ for me are the team to beat in the comp .

I'm definitely interested in playing when I get home but that probably won't be for a year or two yet. Still young though so I should be ok!

woouldnt mind playing myself either, but doesnt seem to be any teams nearby (south east) and with GAA and soccer still going, dont fancy travelling a couple of hours to play. It might raise the profile a bit tho if the team won it. Maybe try get radio stations or rte to plug it if they make the final

hanton12 wrote: »
    woouldnt mind playing myself either, but doesnt seem to be any teams nearby (south east) and with GAA and soccer still going, dont fancy travelling a couple of hours to play. It might raise the profile a bit tho if the team won it. Maybe try get radio stations or rte to plug it if they make the final

Ireland AM on TV3 interview the coach and one of the lads just before they headed out last week , youtube : Arfli Interview and the clip is a few minutes into the video . The Star and the Examiner in Cork also done articles on the team last month .

Cant see a south east club happening in the next while Hanton , Cork and the 3 dublin clubs are the nearest to you .

couldnt see a south east team myself either. there's still feck all interest in aussie rules around, but think its slowly gathering pace. Not too many would know there is a league in Ireland. Maybe a contact with RTE/newstalk/todayfm and see would they mention the results in morning sports bulletins, might generate a bit of interest. As I said, people with no daily interest in AFL wouldnt know about the tournament, but I'd say a few people would like to know how the team is doing.

• Advertisement

I'd suggest whoring yourselves out to any local paper possible. Ring them, tell them what you're about and get them to run a story.

Not sure what part of Dublin the clubs are in but I used to be a journalist for the Gazette Group newspapers (Blanch Gazette, Lucan Gazette etc) and they would be only too glad to do a feature on a local success story such as that, particularly with the International Rules only around the corner.

The competition just got some good exposure on WA footy show 'The Western Front' today. They did a feature on the Israeli Peace Team which is a mix of Israelis and Palestinians. Showed highlights of their game against the POMs where they got thrashed. No mention of Irealnd or anything but they talked a bit about the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

The Canada game was on today. This says that it's Ireland 30 - Canada - 14. It doesn't say if it's a result or not, but I assume it is as it started at 11:00am. Seems pretty low scoring!
    Anyway, looks like we're through...

/edit...just noticed that you can buy the International Jerseys from the website! The Irish AFL jersey would be a fairly obscure one to add to the collection!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Yes they beat Canada and are through to meet New Zealand the current title holders. I know a few of the players in the Irish league and would be interested in playing although clashing with GAA matches would be a problem as hard to play twice in a weekend. The chance of playing internationals would definitely be an incentive to take it up as I already have a ball! I'm sure there could be a team in the South East, all you need is someone with buckets of energy and enthusiasm to start it up.

I also wouldn't mind getting a jersey, certainly not as ugly as the international rules ones and as common as a rugby or soccer ones.

Oooooh might have to get my hands on one of those jerseys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

the form on the afl site is a bit odd tho, there are 2 Irish jerseys on display, the tricolour one and the green one with the celtic design on it, but there is only one ireland jeresy on the order form. Bit odd. Green one looks class alright. The finnish one is cool! (no pun intended)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

bruschi wrote: »
    the form on the afl site is a bit odd tho, there are 2 Irish jerseys on display, the tricolour one and the green one with the celtic design on it, but there is only one ireland jeresy on the order form. Bit odd. Green one looks class alright.

I think the tricolour one is actually India! I was a bit confused too!
    bruschi wrote: »
    The finnish one is cool! (no pun intended)

The African one is hot! (pun intended!)

Ireland beaten in the semis today by New Zeland 8.9 to 2.3 in Warrnambool , Melbourne .

Another 3 place play off (as in 2005) against either SA or PNG on Friday .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I think the tricolour one is actually India! I was a bit confused too!

ah, I see. Stupid fecking India with their similar tricolour! Nearly as bad as the Ivory Coast with their backwards flag!

okarm26 wrote: »
    Ireland beaten in the semis today by New Zeland 8.9 to 2.3 in Warrnambool , Melbourne .

Another 3 place play off (as in 2005) against either SA or PNG on Friday .

thats a shame. Would have been cool to get to the final and play at the 'G'. Playing South Africa in the playoff too.

Advertisement