Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Fireplace surround..

Options
  • 29-08-2008 7:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

I need to remove fireplace surround in order to get fireplace insert out and replace with a granite one (for solid fuel stove install).

This is the fireplace. Bit of a basic question for you guys probably - but how do I go about dismantling this surround without doing any damage? Is it likely that the mantel is just nailed down and thats the starting point and I can just hammer it up??

Really have no idea - but can't afford to get someone else to sort it so would really appreciate some help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 misschipp

Hi,
    I am having difficulty seeing the picture. Usually the fire surround is all one piece and is normally fixed at the side. If you look carefully along the edge you might see some rough plaster and under this you will find the fixing brackets. They are something like mirror brackets. If you scrape away the plaster you should be able to just unscrew the fixings and the surround should come away. It is quite an easy job.
    Hope this helps
    Jac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thanks for the input. Have part one out of the way and fireback completely removed...
    Now, if i can only get a hold of a plumber for piping retrofit..

Advertisement