Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Q about Portforwarding

Options
  • 29-08-2008 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

I am connected through two routers to the internet
    ___

First of all how do i find out my ip address, ipconfig /all shows two addresses one for IPV4 and one for IPV6, which one am i using?
    ___

So my PC connects to router 1(198.162.2.1) and that connects to router 2(198.162.1.1)
    ___

lets say my PC ip address is 198.162.2.100
    router 1 is 198.162.2.1
    router 2 is 198.162.1.1

i need to portforward 15355

i go into router 1 settings and enter the port and which IP address?
    then i go into router 2 settings and enter the port and which IP address?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Comp and Tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Moved from Comp and Tech.

Thanks, you mods must get sick of moving threads

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Meh, not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I "think" you only need to set forwarding on the router that is directly connected to the internet. In your case that is router 2. Port forward on that router to the IP of your PC. Thats the way I do it and it works. If the IP changes on your PC then it you will have to use a static address.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I "think" you only need to set forwarding on the router that is directly connected to the internet. In your case that is router 2. Port forward on that router to the IP of your PC. Thats the way I do it and it works. If the IP changes on your PC then it you will have to use a static address.

IP doesn't change, but which do iuse the IPV4 or IPV6 ip address?

• Advertisement

IPv4

Thank You, Thank You

Is it working yet?

Actually i done this on another PC a while back and i can't really remember but i though i did it on both

ok i have that done now, whats the easiest way to check?

• Advertisement

check what address is assigned to the PC by clicking on the "network connection" and use that. There shud be only one IP.

bitmetv says i'm not connectable

check what address is assigned to the PC by clicking on the "network connection" and use that. There shud be only one IP.

windows vista?

be back in 5

Can u check in router 2 what address is assigned to your pc?

Can u check in router 2 what address is assigned to your pc?

DHCP table?

DHCP table?

Yes. You need to know what the MAC is of your PC be it wireless or Ethernet and check the ip against that.

dhcp table on router is showing one person connected(i'm connected) with an IP od 192.168.2.33

CMD tells me my IP is 192.168.2.150

dhcp table on router is showing one person connected(i'm connected) with an IP od 192.168.2.33

CMD tells me my IP is 192.168.2.150

I think you need to use 192.168.2.33. As a matter of interest, does your router 1 also assign addresses or is it only done by router 2?

OK i logged into router 1 and in the security log it had "192.168.2.150 login successfully"

So that must be the IP i need

So anyone got any other ideas on what exactly i do?

PC ip address is 198.162.2.150
    router 1 is 198.162.2.1
    router 2 is 198.162.1.1

Thanks

• Advertisement

OK i logged into router 1 and in the security log it had "192.168.2.150 login successfully"

So that must be the IP i need

So anyone got any other ideas on what exactly i do?

PC ip address is 198.162.2.150
    router 1 is 198.162.2.1
    router 2 is 198.162.1.1

Thanks
    OK I'll try once more. You should NOT need to worry about router 1. If router 2 is giving the PC IP address as 192.168.2.150 then THAT is the address you need to enter in the port forwarding list.

Advertisement