Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New CRT TV

Options
  • 29-08-2008 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone knows a good place to buy a decent new CRT in Dublin from a wellknown manufacturer like Samsung or JVC (not Beko or something like that).

I realise that CRTs are well on their way out, with many manufacturers having stopped making them, but I don't want to spend big money or even a moderate amount on a TV until there are units with digital tuners that are compatible with the new mpeg4 Irish service and Freeview's future DVB-T2 upgrade, requirements which won't be realised for a year or so yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭ongarite

You won't find any new CRT TVs from well known CE company as they stopped making them probably last year. Powercity have some CRTs but they are BEKO and similar.

Your best best would be to pick up one 2nd hand for cheap. Loads of people trying to shift a 32" CRT for cheap on adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Remember, though that when mpeg4 is implemented that you can just get an mpeg4 set top box which will take car of all of that.Anyway there are already tvs with mpeg4 tuners, the sony W4000 series for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Powercity used to have have a Samsung HD CRT range. have they stopped that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

units with digital tuners that are compatible with the new mpeg4 Irish service and Freeview's future DVB-T2 upgrade, requirements which won't be realised for a year or so yet.

You dont need to have these built into the TV , there are many ways to add these to a TV , like set top boxes , small add on devices and so on , its a myth that you need to get a new TV to watch the new mpeg4/DVB-T2 services , there is currently an ad campaign on Sky explaining all this.

The Tuner type on a TV is probably the least important feature , way more important is what type of input interfaces it has , like USB , HDMI , etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I guess what you are buying is a screen. Everything else you can add on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement