Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a life in outdoor pursuits

Options
  • 28-08-2008 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

is it possible to make a Career out of say kayaking.for instance an instructor or something and would it be a decent enough income also how would i go about getting into this life

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

yes, it is possible. you do a course such as the sport and rec course in castlebar the shakelton course in collastie doolig (i know, my spelling us useless) or the like. regards income. it is piss money for hard work. it is satisfying work in the short term, but will burn most out quickly. you are not really working in outdoor pursuits doing this work, rather you are working in entertainment in the outdoors. usually you can forget having a fixed abode, a fixed girlfriend or a life after 40 in the industry. a few do, but most dont like the effort/gain ratio and return to paddling etc. for themselves at the weekend. that is what i did anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

i do the outdoor recreation and leisure course in GMIT Castlebar, going into 2nd year, i love it but irish lost boy is right i definitely dont plan on making much money out of it, i plan to study again after/ i do love the course and everyone and everything involved with it. maybe you could get some seakayak levels (maybe 3 or 4) then get your instructor level 2, try contacting some kayaking companies aswell. http://www.irishseakayakingassociation.org/m2/index.php
    all the best. maybe i see you in that course in a few years

Advertisement