Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

747!?

Options
  • 28-08-2008 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to get a 747 from Ireland to America? (NY in particular) What route would I have to go on to get a flight on one?!?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Dont think any use Dublin any more except for cargo.

Get yourself over to Heathrow and theres plenty of long haul airlines that still use 747s there...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Is it possible to get a 747 from Ireland to America? (NY in particular) What route would I have to go on to get a flight on one?!?

!!!????!!

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Book Virgin from Heathrow to JFK, not sure about BA they might use the odd 777 but I'm pretty sure Virgin are all 747s.

I think the Virgin booking engine tells you what the plane is while you are booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Book Virgin from Heathrow to JFK, not sure about BA they might use the odd 777 but I'm pretty sure Virgin are all 747s.

I think the Virgin booking engine tells you what the plane is while you are booking.

Don they not "mix" it up between the 744's with A340-300 and A340-600's too?

Steyr wrote: »
    Don they not "mix" it up between the 744's with A340-300 and A340-600's too?

Possibly, I've only flown to JFK with them a few times and it has always been 747s. The last time was about 5 years ago though.

I'm pretty sure you can find out the plane on their site though, I looked at booking a flight to Florida with them and that gave the details if you click on the flight number.

OP, out of curiosity, why are you asking, do you specifically want to fly on a 747?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

When you sit in the middle seat, any airliner is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

When you sit in the middle seat, any airliner is the same.

True it's the same no matter what aircraft you are on. Unless you are flying in business class there's no real difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I still prefer the 747 of any of the long haul flights I was on. BA and Virgin use them, but they mix them up as was mentioned, so check the site. They tell you what you'll be on, which is handy.
    I'm going transatlantic in a month on a 757, which I'm not looking forward to. These weren't designed for that sort of trip in mind!

Biro wrote: »
    I still prefer the 747 of any of the long haul flights I was on. BA and Virgin use them, but they mix them up as was mentioned, so check the site. They tell you what you'll be on, which is handy.
    I'm going transatlantic in a month on a 757, which I'm not looking forward to. These weren't designed for that sort of trip in mind!

The B757 is fine for the transatlantic trip. I have done it in an MD-80 before!!

I've flown transatlantic on a 747, 767 and a 777. The best of the lot was star class on a First Choice airways 767.

as the previous poster said, sat in the middle of a 777 or a 747 there is zero difference between them. presuming you are flying cattle class of course.

oops, nearly forgot the BWIA tri star i flew on to trinidad. I was just glad to get off that one

• Advertisement

Virgin Fly B744's and A343's and A346's. The 346's are savage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Biro wrote: »

FACT they weren't, cramped feet wise!! Oh ya PICS please.:)

Its not too bad on the 757. I flew SNN-EWR then straight away EWR-LAX both on 757. Just watch the movies!

*Kol* wrote: »
    Its not too bad on the 757. I flew SNN-EWR then straight away EWR-LAX both on 757. Just watch the movies!

I'm down the back too, which means noise! Still, I'll try to enjoy it...

Steyr wrote: »
    FACT they weren't, cramped feet wise!! Oh ya PICS please.:)

I'll try!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Thanks, never thought of virgin.
    I was looking at delta, ba, aa and us - they told me the type of plane but none were 747's (all flights incluced a stop in heathrow anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Being on a 747 is certainly not the same as being on a smaller sized jet. The two biggest differences are:

1) Reduced turbulence
    2) Reduced feeling of being squished inside a 'tin-can'

I got a 747 from Madrid to Buenos Aires a few years ago - It was 14 hours of the best flight I have ever had and even included a refueling stop at the Canaries.

Kevin

Thanks, never thought of virgin.
    I was looking at delta, ba, aa and us - they told me the type of plane but none were 747's (all flights incluced a stop in heathrow anyway)

More than half LHR-JFK's are B744's, I know that for a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

I've flown transatlantic on a 747, 767 and a 777. The best of the lot was star class on a First Choice airways 767.

as the previous poster said, sat in the middle of a 777 or a 747 there is zero difference between them. presuming you are flying cattle class of course.

oops, nearly forgot the BWIA tri star i flew on to trinidad. I was just glad to get off that one

Your kidding me right!!
    First choice cram as many people into the planes as they can....horrible experience.

Kevster wrote: »
    Being on a 747 is certainly not the same as being on a smaller sized jet. The two biggest differences are:

1) Reduced turbulence

That's why I want a spin on one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

*Kol* wrote: »
    The B757 is fine for the transatlantic trip. I have done it in an MD-80 before!!

I flew from PHL - DUB on a US Airways 757 a few months ago and it was an experience that I would prefer not to repeat.

For a start the planes are quite old, they are very cramped and not really suited to long flights. The entertainment system is not existant and because they are not wide-bodied, you can't get up and walk around during the flight.

Virgin 747's are definately the best for long-haul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

The last regular Tristar to serve LHR. It was good training for the Emergency services! Not sure if ATC need binoculars now since it ended service. Had to make sure the gear was down from time to time.
    It was replaced with a A340 but I believe was to be replaced again with a A330. I must look up what is happening in Terminal 3. Lost touch since Terminal 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Kevster wrote: »

1) Reduced turbulence

I got a 747 from Madrid to Buenos Aires a few years ago - It was 14 hours of the best flight I have ever had and even included a refueling stop at the Canaries.

Kevin

Jsut to add to the mix the two worse flights of my life have been on 747s.
    Auckland to LAX and San Fran to Heathrow so I have no desire to ever get back on one.
    OP if you are stuffed in the middle beside some fairly large people it is even worse than being on a small jet. Accepted all wide bodies can give you that feeling.
    There are more people, longer queues and longer waits for everything, even more people breathing the same reguritated air.

When your stuck jammed in the middle you don't get to appreciate the aesthetics of the 747.

The only nice way to fly is if the aircraft is half empty and tip for anyone flying stateside, fly on thanksgiving.
    The airports are morgues and the flights are half empty :D

Clytus wrote: »
    Your kidding me right!!
    First choice cram as many people into the planes as they can....horrible experience.

The star class upgrade, cosidering it is only £90 return extra is a very nice way to fly. it's only available on the 767 though.
    Foggy43 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

The last regular Tristar to serve LHR. It was good training for the Emergency services! Not sure if ATC need binoculars now since it ended service. Had to make sure the gear was down from time to time.
    It was replaced with a A340 but I believe was to be replaced again with a A330. I must look up what is happening in Terminal 3. Lost touch since Terminal 5.

We had an 8 hour delay going out because the windscreen fell out on landing. we ended up getting bused to a hotel for a few hours and I then ended up spending 6 hours over night waiting for a connecting flight at Port of Spain airport. Not pleasant jouney but the week spent scuba diving and drinking Stag beer more than made up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Maybe the OP wants to fly on a plane with 4 engines, as opposed to 2.

Do you not pre-select your seats before the flight?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

747's look great but I reckon the 777's out do them in the noise dept etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I have flown longhaul ( ie over the Atlantic if that still counts and other places ) down the back on

A340
    B747 ( BA , AC , United , AF )
    Tristars
    DC10
    MD11
    B777
    B767
    B757

Ill be honest , there is little to chose between them if they are full

The first Tristar was wonderful , but it was TWA , and virtually new /empty ( I am showing my age now )I also flew Delta when they were good , the other one was ATA , OMG it was just the worst flight I have ever been on , when we took of half the lighting system in the cabin fell down , the plane was a wreck ( although the ice cream in Gander is wonderful )

The B757 was not comfortable , because of the single aisle during service you felt locked in.

I too wonder why the request to fly 747 ?
    If you can go through Dublin , it cuts out the horrible INS queues .

From Dublin I have flown USAir 767 , horrible , the aircraft had peeling paint on the outside , seats that were broken, uncomfortable ..... felt unsafe because of the percieved lack of maintainance
    CO 757/767 , pretty terrible, but at least felt safe, actually the 767 was quite comfortable
    EI A330 , tatty , ok service , total lack of IFE ( old systems only I have not flown on the newer aircraft )

Not much to chose between them TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Feck the US, get on a Singapore Airlines A380 from Heathrow to Singapore.....BRAND NEW and gorgeous inside. Economy have some 2x4x2 across seats upstairs which was amazing and so comfortable :) Plus you've got two decks to strech around on and the best economy inflight entertainment and service in the world, flight attendants cant do enough for you.

I've been on a few 747s and found them in some cases to be a bit tatty and quite noisy near the rear though im sure all planes are. DO NOT go for an emergency exit seat near the middle, the escape slides happen to live in a massive internal box ruining legroom. It all depends on when it last had its interior refitted. Check the reviews on http://www.seatguru.com/ also and see what people have been saying. The second nicest interior I've had was a pretty new China Southern 777 last year. Worst entertainment by far though, 4 tv channels with only 1 in English :O

• Advertisement

The big drawback about the A330 is that the walls are curved, where as the 747 has almost straight walls. That means that the window seat you can prop your pillow against the wall and rest, but in the A330, the pillow falls between the seat and the wall due to the pronounced curve, at it's widest point next to the armrest.
    Only on one 777, Premier economy with BA. Nice, £150 extra, probably only really worth it on an over night flight.

Advertisement