Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English / Irish LCD's

Options
  • 28-08-2008 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

Im heading to England in 2/3 weeks and I have seen LCD tv's much much cheaper over there. I was thinking of bringing one back to Ireland but my mate said it wont work over here, unless i connect it through a DVD player.

Is there any truth in this, as I really doubt there is a difference in the technology.

Cheers Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

your mates full of ****.

as long as its PAL your grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭niallu

Thanks hobochris, thats what i thought too.....women pffft :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

Sorry your taking technology advice from a girl !? :p

/hides :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Lilith306

niallu wrote: »
    Thanks hobochris, thats what i thought too.....women pffft :D

Older UK TV's did not have a VHF tuner which ment if you where on the analogue NTL or Chorus you would not receive some channels through them and would have to go through a Irish VCR or DVD recorder to get the channels. If you have one of them systems just make sure it has VHF tuner but I think most UK LCD's do these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moved from Computers & Technology.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

If your getting TV with a digital tuner, try get one which can handle MPEG4 / h.264.

The large majority of TV's with digital tuner are MPEG2 because that's what freeview is broadcast in, but the Irish digital service is / will be MPEG4.

MPEG4 capable TV's will more than likely be more expensive, so if you find a real non-MPEG4 bargain then go for it, you can always get a MPEG4 set top box at a later date if you want to switch to digital.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Panasonic and Toshiba are two manufacturers who have UHF-only flatscreen's in the UK, while UHF/VHF tuners available in Ireland. It'd be wise to check before committing.

Of course, if you don't receive any VHF signals, then it's irrelevant anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

You can get the TV from richersounds in Belfast delivered to the South for 20GBP. There order in from the UK if they don't have want you need in stock in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

MPEG4 capable TV's will more than likely be more expensive, so if you find a real non-MPEG4 bargain then go for it, you can always get a MPEG4 set top box at a later date if you want to switch to digital.

AFAIK, the sony w4000 series is the only series available at the moment with an mpeg4 tuner built in.Thats an excellent tv alright but i wouldnt get it because of the mpeg4 tuner alone.i expect we'll see quite a few more with mpeg4 tuners in the future.France is also going mpeg4 afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I bought a Samsung series 6 through Richersounds UK website. This tv has the VHF/UHF tuners necessary to work over here but that won't be an issue if you have sky/Digital tv reception.

• Advertisement
Advertisement