Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM - Can you expain

Options
  • 28-08-2008 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Another computer question relating to laptops, is 2 GB RAM good? i.e good enough to run multiple applications?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

On XP, yes, on Vista it may be borderline depending on the software being used.
    Sorry i don't use Vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

My old laptop has a 1.7ghz dual core processor, 2gb ram and is running vista. Runs multiple applications fine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The amount of RAM you need depends on what applications you're going to use, what operating system you're running and what hardware you've got. So with Windows XP and an intel integrated graphics card 2GB is fine, you'll be able to run the likes of Photoshop pretty easily and so on, although maybe not several memory-hungry apps all at once. The same hardware with Vista will stutter along more slowly, and give you worse performance.

That said, if you just want to have, say, a couple of Word docs, a PDF and a web browser open at the same time, 2GB should be loads. Even under Vista it'll be ok if you turn off Aero and use the Windows Classic appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

yeah I have aero turned off on the laptop described above.
    You also would benefit from turning off lots of the unused servives that run in vista by default. I even do this on my higher spec laptop when I want to play games.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

Christ, Vista is not that resource heavy, all I can say if you believe Vista needs that much ram you must be using some VERY poor systems to run it on with very cheap components. 2GB is plenty on Vista. More than enough for anything.

My Desktop has 2GB ram and it kills XP for Performance maybe thats because it was built with decent components, same with my Laptop. No need to use Windows Classic or turn off Aero unless you bought a cheap machine with cheap components or one of the budget end Dells.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭zervi2003

Thanks for the replies.
    This is the spec I think I am going to buy (€889):
    What ye think?

General
    System Type Notebook
    Width 35.7 cm
    Height 4 cm
    Weight 3.1 kg
    Processor
    Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology ZM-80 / 2.1 GHz
    Multi-Core Technology Dual-Core
    64-bit Computing Yes
    Cache Memory
    Installed Size 2 MB
    RAM
    Installed Size 2 GB
    Technology DDR2 SDRAM
    Storage controller
    Type Serial ATA
    Storage
    Hard Drive 250 GB
    Optical Storage
    Type DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
    Display
    Display Type 12.1 in TFT active matrix
    Max Resolution 1280 x 800
    Widescreen Display Yes
    Audio
    Audio Output Sound card
    Audio Input Microphone
    Notebook Camera
    Camera Type Integrated
    Input Device(s)
    Type Keyboard
    Telecom
    Modem Fax / modem
    Max Transfer Rate 56 Kbps
    Networking
    Networking Network adapter
    Wireless LAN Supported Yes
    Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
    Battery
    Technology Lithium Ion
    Operating System / Software
    OS Provided Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
    Manufacturer Warranty
    Service & Support 1 year warranty
    Video
    Video Output / Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI Radeon HD 3200

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

J_Dublin15 wrote: »
    Christ, Vista is not that resource heavy, all I can say if you believe Vista needs that much ram you must be using some VERY poor systems to run it on with very cheap components. 2GB is plenty on Vista. More than enough for anything.

Given that a Vista install is described by Microsoft as taking up 9-15GB of hard drive space, compared to ~2.5GB of space for Windows XP, there's a hell of a lot under the hood for it not to be resource heavy. And frankly, my experience of it both at home and at work has been that unless you're running it on a high-end machine bought after about June '07, default Vista runs like crap and compares very poorly to the same hardware on XP. It's all very well saying "spend some money on higher-end kit", but that only applies if you need Vista. I don't, and let's be honest, a lot of people don't.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

zervi2003 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    This is the spec I think I am going to buy (€889):
    What ye think?

General
    System Type Notebook
    Width 35.7 cm
    Height 4 cm
    Weight 3.1 kg
    Processor
    Processor AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology ZM-80 / 2.1 GHz
    Multi-Core Technology Dual-Core
    64-bit Computing Yes
    Cache Memory
    Installed Size 2 MB
    RAM
    Installed Size 2 GB
    Technology DDR2 SDRAM
    Storage controller
    Type Serial ATA
    Storage
    Hard Drive 250 GB
    Optical Storage
    Type DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
    Display
    Display Type 12.1 in TFT active matrix
    Max Resolution 1280 x 800
    Widescreen Display Yes
    Audio
    Audio Output Sound card
    Audio Input Microphone
    Notebook Camera
    Camera Type Integrated
    Input Device(s)
    Type Keyboard
    Telecom
    Modem Fax / modem
    Max Transfer Rate 56 Kbps
    Networking
    Networking Network adapter
    Wireless LAN Supported Yes
    Data Link Protocol Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
    Battery
    Technology Lithium Ion
    Operating System / Software
    OS Provided Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
    Manufacturer Warranty
    Service & Support 1 year warranty
    Video
    Video Output / Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI Radeon HD 3200

What make/model is that? and where are you buying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭zervi2003

Its a HP Pavillion - was looking to buy a new laptop - read about them here on another post and looked them up - its a Hewlett Packard Pavilion tx2530ea

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

Thats a Tablet one right? I've not used the TX series pavilions but I have a DV6899ea and a friend has a DV2104eu and they're both very very solid laptops, stylish too. I'd prefer Intel though rather than AMD

• Advertisement
Advertisement