Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

programming degrees?

Options
  • 28-08-2008 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

hello i am in psychology and i dislike it and i am starting to regret going into it. i was thinking if it goes wrong i might go into something to do with programming or some course like that. something which gets me a degree anyway. i didnt do too well in my leaving cert. what type of BA and masters degree can you get in computers? one of my friends in england is studying game programming but i havent gotten through to him lately. thats soemthing that woudl interest me despite how complicated it is. my only experience is some c programs i did when i was younger.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Diarmaid07

There is a games programming course, in waterford I think. Not sure of points or anything.

For 300 you can do Computer Applications in DCU, or for 355 you can get Computer Science in Trinity.

Just a few options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭TLG

nah i am too dumb to get into those courses i got 200 something also i found some othger courses and they all seem to require b3 or over in ordinary mathematics and also two c3 or higher in 2 higher level subjects neither of which i have.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tim131

TLG wrote: »
    nah i am too dumb to get into those courses i got 200 something also i found some othger courses and they all seem to require b3 or over in ordinary mathematics and also two c3 or higher in 2 higher level subjects neither of which i have.

I'm in the same boat as you. I wanted to do Computer Science in DIT, but I didn't get the 2HC3 requirments, so I'm going to do a one year PLC course in Senior College Dun Laoghaire, after a year, you end up with a FETAC award which could get you into programming or computer science courses.

http://www.scd.ie/PC_Maintenance__Technical_Support/Default.286.html

It's a good starting point, and you end up with a degree that you woulnd't get if you went to an IT or a college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Im in letterkenny doing applied computing which gets me a honors degree after 4 years and i have to say i like it, theres programming involved in it and web development and robotics etc and its not that hard to get into at i think one of the girls on our course had around 200 points and still got in no bother, id reccomend it if your up for letterkenny, which i might add has a great atmosphere also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

There is a computing course in carlow and a lot of Programming course there half of them are AQA. So come down and Join us ( non evil way ).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

TLG wrote: »

I don't want to sound harsh, but computer programming is not something for dumb people.

If you choose a proper computer science degree, you had better have strong maths skills, as the maths is well above honours leaving certificate level.

There are colleges like Griffith College in Dublin which offer degree programmes at night. They appear to be aimed at people who don't have any aptitude for programming or maths - I know people who have passed who don't have a breeze about programming.

For example, most of the 4th years had never heard of AND logic. They had only ever used an OR. Mad!

So if you are looking for a qualification, Griffith College is a good choice.

However as a career, you will have difficulty working as a programmer if you are - as you say - dumb.

In summary -

You will fail computer science, so pick a course which is not maths based.

By all means go back to college, but be aware you may not be suited for a job as a programmer. Programmers are smart people. I am yet to meet a "dumb" programmer.

I hope you don't take any offence from this post, that is not my intention.

Advertisement