Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Sponsorship

Options
  • 28-08-2008 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

This may not be the area for this post but I'm not really sure where else it would go...

Wanted to ask people's opinion on the various child sponsorship agencies, WorldVision, Plan etc.., whether they're any good, if people have had any problems, does the money really go to the child, that sort of thing.

Any and all info is appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I was reading about one today. ChildFund Ireland I think it's called. Sounds good - I like it because they openly state that at least 80% of the money goes to the child. Well in actually it goes to the school etc that the child is a part of, and helps the child that way, which has been proven better than handing the family the money. You can also visit your child through them.
    I was never sure about it. But when I was in Thailand our guide was really well informd and educated, he could speak very good English and was making good money. He put it all down to the fact that he was sponsored as a child. He could never have gone to school otherwise. After that, I began to believe in these schemes more, and I think I'll join up the ChildFund one. It's 22 euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hdunne

I sponsor a chile with world vision, its 25euro a month. I have to say i really like the charity so far, i'm doing it about a year. you get an update or post about every 6months, maybe less. the money goes to the village that child is in and they build schools and wells and so on. from time to time when they are in need of more funds i do get a little letter which may drive up admin costs for them but i can see why they have to do it. i would recommend sponsoring a child with any of the charities.

Advertisement