Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this accommodation ad reply 'off'?

Options
  • 28-08-2008 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

I have a room for rent at the mo and I just got this reply. It seems off to me or maybe I'm just over thinking here. I'm not even sure what the point of a dodgy reply would be. I think maybe it's the kinda British name but this person is obviously not a native English speaker or maybe giving me her height. I've changed the name but the original was it's equivalent.
    ad reply wrote:
    Reply Number: x
    Email: janes @yahoo.com
    Contact Number: none
    Hello
    Am single,my Height is 5.6, 25years old and i dont have a boyfriend presently,Well,i think we will get along well because am a easy going person who respects ones privacy,I dont do drugs or smoke but i drink only occasionally,I am a very easy going person I saw your posted property for rent.I will like to know if still available for rent if yes..I will like to know the amount of the rent per month you charge,deposit I've to paying before my moving and minimum period of the rent..

Jane.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Sounds like a non-native speaker, perhaps she hasn't rented before so isn't sure what information is appropriate and what isn't?

I know some of the room for rent ads I've seen on daft have pics of the other housemates rather than the house so maybe some people think it makes more of a difference who you're living with?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Id say the next email will be one requesting bank details for her to wire money to you (even without her seeing the room!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭euph

I think it is off, spam/scam-ish ?

Is there anyway you can phone the person or have them phone you?

Lots of scams exist where they scour property/car websites and somehow ween some money or details out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, assuming that there wasn't actually a phone number it sounds iffy enough.

The name isn't all that strange - often people from countries with very different names (most notably the Chinese and Japanese) will pick an English name which is very close to their native name, to avoid having to constantly tell people how to pronounce their name. One Japanese girl I know calls herself "Sue", her Japanese name being "Shizuka" (which I think is waaay cooler).
    "Jane Smith" sounds a tiny bit too generic though. In my experience they don't normally Anglicise their surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

There was no phone number

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

looks dodgy to be honest
    next email will be "are you married?"
    i'd advise you to run!

Advertisement