Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disagreements with landlord over bills

Options
  • 28-08-2008 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

I'm about to leave a house we've been renting for the Summer, but the landlord is being funny about bills and we're not sure how to come to an agreement with her on it. In the beginning we each paid a deposit which equated to a month's rent plus about 60 euro and were told verbally that the bills wouldn't be 'much more' than the 60 quid for the 3 months we were there. Now we've come to the end of our rental period the landlord is saying she wants over 150 euro per person to cover bills :rolleyes:

We have no written lease and the 60 euro being for bills was a verbal agreement:rolleyes: Over 200 euro per person for 3 months sounds a lot to me. It's a 6-bed house so that's almost 1,300 euro for gas & electricity, refuse etc. We've tried talking to her and asking to see bills, but we're getting nowhere. I understand the bills are issued bi-monthly so it might be difficult to gauge what our total liability is for 3 months.

We haven't paid the last month's rent; the landlord says she'll use our deposit for that and then just wants the extra money when we're leaving. None of us are happy to hand over so much money - any ideas on a fair deal to bring this to an end?

Or does 1,300 euro for 3 months bills sound reasonable? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

What about

"Hey, we think the bills seem a big high, can you break it down for us and let us know what the costs are."

If she refuses, just walk away

If she gives you a breakdown, compare it and see if it is reasonable, if it isn't reasonable follow up with her and ask for evidence.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

I with chump on this no bills no money. The only possible reason not to show you the bills is that they don't amount to what she is claiming. Worst case give her the verbally agreed €60, getting proof, then if anything happens later you've already shown goodwill and are not just trying to get out of paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

get the bills and amicably do it. Also get agreement that the deposit can be used for last month rent - written down. If it goes further you could be seen in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

ellscurr wrote: »
    We have no written lease and the 60 euro being for bills was a verbal agreement:rolleyes:

Do you know if you landlord is registered with the PRTB, no written lease sounds like she probably isn't and is most likely evading tax. Ask her for a receipt as you will be contacting revenue to claim rent tax credit, that will spook her if she isn't declaring this rental income to revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thanks everyone. We have receipts for the deposits and rent amounts paid and we have tried on numerous occasions to see the bills but we're always told she doesn't have them and won't be able to get them before we're due to move out. Talking about it gets us nowhere, then she suggests we give over the additional amount and she'll send us any change :(

She's been fair enough with us during our time there (other than the bills) so I'd rather not skip off chucking the key in the letter box and saying good luck, but at the same time it's getting very messy and as she is refusing to show us bills and we're refusing to pay until she does, it's a catch 22.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

ellscurr wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. We have receipts for the deposits and rent amounts paid and we have tried on numerous occasions to see the bills but we're always told she doesn't have them and won't be able to get them before we're due to move out. Talking about it gets us nowhere, then she suggests we give over the additional amount and she'll send us any change :(

That's ridiculous. How can anyone be expected to hand over money without proof of what's owed. Tell her you'll provide the money when she provides the bills!

If a mechanic said 'I reckon it'll cost about a grand to fix yer car, but won't know till it's done. Give me a grand now and I'll send the change to you later if it's less' ... what would you say???

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

That's ridiculous. How can anyone be expected to hand over money without proof of what's owed. Tell her you'll provide the money when she provides the bills!

If a mechanic said 'I reckon it'll cost about a grand to fix yer car, but won't know till it's done. Give me a grand now and I'll send the change to you later if it's less' ... what would you say???

I agree with this 100%, no payment without proof of bill amounts. Sounds like she's chancing her arm for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

If she's allowing you to stay in the place and use the deposit as rent then you have the upper hand in this situation. Completely.

So stick to your guns and ask to see the bills, and pay only when you do see the bills. If she won't agree to this sensible and fair request, then give her nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Tell her you'll be contacting Threshold if she doesn't produce proof of the bills.

Also - do be sure to claim your rent relief (360 euro) by registering on reachservices.ie or download the rent1 form from revenue.ie

You don't even need her PPS number. But the Revenue will be very interested in investigating whether she has declared her rental income ;)

Advertisement