Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carlow bypass to be made motorway speeds

Options
  • 28-08-2008 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭

SI No. 279 of 2008

Roads Act 2007 (Declaration of Motorways) Order 2008

In accordance with the provisions of section 8 of the Roads Act 2007, the Minister for Transport, Mr. Noel Dempsey T.D., has made the above Statutory Instrument.

The purpose of the Order is to provide for the declaration of certain public roads as motorways.

On a motorway, higher maximum speed limits apply than on other public roads and access to specific types of road user or vehicle may be restricted. In addition, protection can be afforded to the States investment in the national road network through the application of appropriate development management strategies, thereby preventing premature obsolescence of important road infrastructure.

This Order applies only to high quality dual carriageways which were already built, under construction or in planning when the Roads Act 2007 was enacted.

The Order will come into operation on 24th September 2008.

The sections of the major interurban routes affected are as follows:

N9 (Dublin/Waterford Major Interurban Route)

Kilcullen to Powerstown (under construction)

Carlow Bypass (open to traffic)

about time....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

doesn't affect me cause I don't use it but Hurray all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Freaking sweet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Awh no provisions for the bypass on Waterford :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

aah Jaysus the feckin tractor will never hit that speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

Oh great. I've been looking forward to seeing the needle go past 100 for the first time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Presume the whole M9 between Kilcullen and Waterford will all be designated "M" and not just as far as Carlow.?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

Sully wrote: »

poor ye down there:D
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    aah Jaysus the feckin tractor will never hit that speed

haha,
    bottletops wrote: »
    Oh great. I've been looking forward to seeing the needle go past 100 for the first time ;)

not that it ever has in my car either:pac:
    mfitzy wrote: »
    Presume the whole M9 between Kilcullen and Waterford will all be designated "M" and not just as far as Carlow.?

yeh it's in the quote at the top as being classified motorway also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Bards

Sully wrote: »

Don't fret Sully, the NRA have applied to Dept of transport for More re-designations. I suspect the N25 Waterford City bypass will be in that round,

There is still more than 12 months to go before it is completed in any case. A dead give away will be when they atart placing signage on the Scheme next year

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Bards wrote: »
    Don't fret Sully, the NRA have applied to Dept of transport for More re-designations. I suspect the N25 Waterford City bypass will be in that round,

There is still more than 12 months to go before it is completed in any case. A dead give away will be when they atart placing signage on the Scheme next year

The road from kilcullen to waterford including the bypass of the city will be redesignated as a motorway before the full route opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I wonder will they put the older roads from the Prumpletstown & Carlow and Carlow to Powerstown back to 100kpm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Nope. They are no longer N Roads, and are R roads instead. :(

Advertisement