Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router from Ethernet Network

Options
  • 28-08-2008 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi all,

Im trying to see if its possible to set up a wireless network from a network Im currently on in shared accommodation.

Basically we have an ethernet cable in each room that we just have to plug in and we have internet, etc. However, it can be quite frustrating not having the freedom of moving around with my laptop so I want to set up a wireless connection for a few of us to use.

So, my questions are:

1) Is it possible to get a wireless router that I can simply plug the ethernet cable into to get wireless internet access? The one I used at home required a DSL cable to actually provide the internet to which I could then add ethernets for based PCs and also have the wireless.

2) If it is possible would I have sufficient privileges to set up the network and create an access key so I could restrict how many people have access?

As you can probably guess I have no admin privileges on the main network.

Any pointers would be appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭dodzy

1) Is it possible to get a wireless router that I can simply plug the ethernet cable into to get wireless internet access? The one I used at home required a DSL cable to actually provide the internet to which I could then add ethernets for based PCs and also have the wireless.

Yes. The one you currently use at home is a modem and router combo. You can purchase a wireless router and link this to one of the free ports on the current unit
    2) If it is possible would I have sufficient privileges to set up the network and create an access key so I could restrict how many people have access?

Yes. Enter the configuration utility on the new router - This is described in the instructional ducumentation ( ensure that the new router is connected to your laptop at this point ) and set up an access list using MAC address Filtering thus restricting the number of units which can access your new router wirelessly.

I think above info is correct. Only recently started dabbling in this myself so apologies for errors though the more experienced folk here will no doubt correct me if required :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It sounds as if you have a router somewhere else in the house from which an ethernet cable comes to each room? Is that router under your control or is access restricted? Could you confirm that either way as it affects what people might recommend for you. Who is your bb provider as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It's probably an access point that your looking for as opposed to a router, leave the routing to the hardware that's currently in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 JustaJourno

Sorry, I dont think my post was very clear.

Im in a student block and only have an ethernet cable in my room, which, when I plug in gives me internet access and shared access.

I am wondering can I buy a wireless router/modem that I can simply plug the ethernet cable into that will enable wireless internet..

As its a student block, I have no access to the router/network and have no idea who the BB provider is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Sorry, I dont think my post was very clear.

Im in a student block and only have an ethernet cable in my room, which, when I plug in gives me internet access and shared access.

I am wondering can I buy a wireless router/modem that I can simply plug the ethernet cable into that will enable wireless internet..

As its a student block, I have no access to the router/network and have no idea who the BB provider is.

I think Dodzy answered the question. btw you don't want a router/modem, just a plain ol' wireless router which can be set up as an access point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I think Dodzy answered the question. btw you don't want a router/modem, just a plain ol' wireless router which can be set up as an access point.

If you attach an additionial router to the ethernet cable you will double the routing function which messes things up. So as the poster above has suggested what you need to get is a wireless point which should allow acess to the network without messing things up.

This is an example: http://www.netgear.com/Products/APsWirelessControllers/AccessPoints/WG602.aspx

Or you could buy an ordinary wireless router and turn the routing function off in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

dub45 wrote: »
    If you attach an additionial router to the ethernet cable you will double the routing function which messes things up. So as the poster above has suggested what you need to get is a wireless point which should allow acess to the network without messing things up.

This is an example: http://www.netgear.com/Products/APsWirelessControllers/AccessPoints/WG602.aspx

Or you could buy an ordinary wireless router and turn the routing function off in it.

Thats what i meant in suggesting it's set up as an access point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 JustaJourno

Ah got you now... cheers for the replies guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

dub45 wrote: »

Not really double routing, the router will obtain an IP from the blocks DHCP server and this will become the WAN address of the Wireless Router, which will in turn issue you with an IP from its DHCP server, just make sure you use a different subnet to the blocks DHCP and it will route fine.

BTW Did you have to register your computers MAC address with the admins or did they ask to see your equipment when you moved in or can you just plug any machine in and it will get an IP? Just asking as most setups like this ask for the MAC of your machine for security reasons / tracking, not to worry most routers have the ability to clone the IP of a device so you will still have a working connection without having to bother those nice admins. :D

MC

Keeping it simple since... forever

Advertisement