Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonskeagh Castle Q?.

Options
  • 28-08-2008 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I've a friend visiting next week who has asked me about this place.

But from my searches I can't seem to find any recent information on it.

Anyone know of it, is it still there etc?.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

never knew one existed??
    Where about it is?
    I used to work in Clonskeagh and never saw a castle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

whiskeyman wrote: »
    never knew one existed??
    Where about it is?
    I used to work in Clonskeagh and never saw a castle...

Neither have I, and I travel through the area a lot.

I think there was a house called 'Clonskeagh Castle' at one time, but I suspect its long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Maybe Roebuck castle?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Mairt wrote: »

Cant find anything on it.
    take them to some other castle and tell them its clonkeagh.

Degsy wrote: »
    Cant find anything on it.
    take them to some other castle and tell them its clonkeagh.

Is Finglas Castle still open these days? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

more info here... probably is Roebuck :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57039417

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

Victor wrote: »

That is Clonskeagh Castle. It still exists. The old gates to the castle were at the top of Whitethorn Road where it meets Clonskeagh Road

Thanks guys, although my friend has long since been and gone I'll get some photos and forward them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 anajinn

In 1971, I stayed for a week in Clonskeagh Castle. It was a mock-castle on the site of an older castle and, at that time, it was divided into four apartments. I believe that each was 2 bedroom.

• Advertisement

anajinn wrote: »
    In 1971, I stayed for a week in Clonskeagh Castle. It was a mock-castle on the site of an older castle and, at that time, it was divided into four apartments. I believe that each was 2 bedroom.

Thanks, have you anymore information on its location and if its still here?.

No Sorry. It was a long time ago and I don't even live in Ireland. There are references to it on the internet. It may have been Dublin 14, but I am not sure. It was in Clonskeagh. All I know was that I was told there had been a castle on the site for a thousand years, but that this building was nowhere near that old. It was a lovely building with a central wooden staircase and four separate apartments. The common areas were furnished with expensive antiques.

Seán O'Sullivan RHA (1906-1964)
    PORTRAIT OF VIVENNE GANLEY (NEÉ McLOUGHRIDGE)
    Signature: signed lower right
    Medium: pencil on paper
    Dimensions: 46 by 36cm., 18 by 14in.
    Provenance:
    Exhibited:
    Literature:

Lot No.: 70
    Auction Date:

29 November 2005
    Published Estimate:
    €1,000-1,200
    Price Realised:
    €1300

The sitter was a well-known Dublin art collector and former owner of the previous lot. As a young woman she worked for “Boss” Sinclair, the art and antiques dealer on Liffey Street; it was on his instructions that she attended the Mespil House sale and purchased the former lot. She later branched out on her own, dealing in works of art from her home in the garden flat at Clonskeagh Castle (information kindly supplied by Dr John O’Grady).

http://www.whytes.ie/4PrintCatalogue.asp?Auction=20051129

I met this woman when I stayed in Clonskeagh Castle in 1971. I was invited into her apartment for tea. I just found this on the internet after I had answered your enquiry online about Clonskeagh Castle. It is strange that I found this actually. I was just thinking about her last night. I seem to have remembered that her name was Vivienne, but I had forgotten her last name until just now. I was told that there had been a castle on the site for a thousand years, but that this building was relatively modern. If you do an internet scan, however, I do see reference to someone who was living in Clonskeagh Castle in 1870. In 1971, other occupants were an elderly American couple, a friend of mine, and I don't know who had the fourth apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ChessHacker

I know it well.
    It is a 19C castle built on the site of an earlier castle.
    In recent history, it was in four flats and sold in the late 1990s to a single family which still lives there.
    Per the map (above), it's located on the roundabout (colloquially 'the circle') at the end of Whitebeam and Whitethorn roads. When sold in the 1990s, the new residents blocked one of the driveways and planted what was a large open grassy area in front of the castle with trees and shrubs which is why many people now miss it.
    There are two vaulted stone cellars to the left of the castle which were always referred to as 'the dungeons'. Locals used to gain access to these cellars and leave their initials on the roofs using candles.

Maybe they mean Clontarf Castle. :D

I think Clonskeagh Castle was the Argentine Embassy residence until about 10 years ago. They have since built apartments there.

The Argentine Embassy was in Dodder Ground, a large house (which used to be owned by the Crampton family) which is on Milltown Bridge Road.
    Part of the gardens were sold to build flats ('Woodhaven').

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Obikenobi23

Between 1916 & 1922 the castle was used as a jail by the British as my uncle was incarcerated there for his involvement in the ambush on Clonskeagh bridge against the tans.
    We used to play in as kids in the 40s when it it was unoccupied.
    The post by ChessHacker with directions is exactly right.

Between 1916 & 1922 the castle was used as a jail by the British as my uncle was incarcerated there for his involvement in the ambush on Clonskeagh bridge against the tans.
    We used to play in as kids in the 40s when it it was unoccupied.
    The post by ChessHacker with directions directions is exactly right.

Wow, thanks.

I'll pass that along to my friend.

Much appreciated.

Wow, thanks.

I'll pass that along to my friend.

Much appreciated.

No problems, glad I remembered it.
    I was born & reared on the banks of the Dodder in what is now the car park of the Bridge House pub, formerly O'Shea's although still in the O'Shea family.

I would post a photo of the house I was born in during a time when the Dodder had flooded but I don't yet qualify to post pics.

This is correct. These are the coordinates: 53°18'40"N 6°14'45"W

In 1971, I stayed there for a week with my friend. There were three other apartments. One was occupied by Viviane Gantry, another by an American couple, and I don't know who lived in the fourth one. The common areas - hallway, stairs, etc. were all furnished with expensive antiques. Very nice place. Dublin 14. Still exists.

I think Clonskeagh Castle was the Argentine Embassy residence until about 10 years ago. They have since built apartments there.

The main Argentine Embassy building ("Dodder Ground") is still there.
    I was invited to a birthday party there as a boy.
    The large gardens now contain the apartments.
    Dodder Ground was occupied by the Cramptons whose grandchildren still run the business.

Clonskeagh Castle was bought by the Armstrong family in the late 1990s.
    It has two vaulted cellars which have been sealed up.
    Apparently, the candle signatures we made on the ceilings are still present :D

• Advertisement

I've posted the geographic coordinates a few times on this board.

If you Google them, you can see a street view of the house. There are no apartments. The house is still there behind a big hedge.

You can find the castle easily enough by typing Clonskeagh Castle, Whitebeam Road into Google Maps.
    You can also see the building called Woodhaven which is built on the old Argentinian Embassy Residence grounds.
    Across the road at the bridge over the dodder you can see a place called The Stores which is or was the home of Paddy Moloney of The Chieftains.

Well I've already posted the coordinates. I actually stayed in the house, as I have already said, and you can see it on street view. We know what street it is on.

Lived down the road from this for some time, as others have said, it was at one point made into apartments. My grandparents lived in the area so spent a lot of summers running around the circle; I believe it is correct it is a family home now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ANNMMCKEON

I lived in maple Road, we played on the roundabout, the castle was backing onto the dodder and was in apartments. Built on old grounds of original one, think its gone now was at the top of whitebeam road

Advertisement