Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magee?

Options
  • 27-08-2008 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi was just wondering has anyone got any advice about UU Magee as a uni?

my friend possible may be going there and doesnt know much bar the usual internet info.

Was just wondering

what do you think as Derry as a city?

Has the university got a friendly atmosphere in general?

Is it a big campus?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated or anything else to add!
    Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

geminilady wrote: »
    Hi was just wondering has anyone got any advice about UU Magee as a uni?

my friend possible may be going there and doesnt know much bar the usual internet info.

Was just wondering

what do you think as Derry as a city?

Has the university got a friendly atmosphere in general?

Is it a big campus?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated or anything else to add!
    Thanks! :)

Derry as small cities go is pretty nice and you either love it or hate it. It's walking distance from campus, has all the usual shops/pubs/clubs etc. The student nights tend to be during the week because pretty much everyone goes home on weekends and so it's pretty quiet around then.

The campus is small enough and there isn't too much there in the way of clubs & societies etc., the union is teeny tiny and so you find that people just come to classes and leave; they don't hang out on campus like they do in Coleraine or Jordanstown. The good thing is that most students tend to live in the streets around it (or Halls) so it's not too difficult to find something to do if no-one is on campus :cool:

Honestly I didn't like it and was glad to leave; it was just too small for me. But it depends very much what you're used to and what your expectations are. GAAman goes/went there too, he should be able to give you a more positive description :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

thanks for that ellscur, its important to hear negative sides too, would there more than 6000 students there would ya reckon or would it be smaller? : )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

College itself is full of snobs, but the nightlife and the city itself is great, not an overly expensive place to live either, the pros just about outweigh the cons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

geminilady wrote: »
    thanks for that ellscur, its important to hear negative sides too, would there more than 6000 students there would ya reckon or would it be smaller? : )

i reckon there would be one or two thousand students, jordanstown is the biggest campus and i dont think that would have six thousand students

regob wrote: »
    i reckon there would be one or two thousand students, jordanstown is the biggest campus and i dont think that would have six thousand students

Magee has around 4,000 students but as I said because they literally come for class and go home it never really feels like there's too many people around! When I enrolled in 2005 we got some talk about them wanting to increase student numbers to 10,000 by 2010 or 2015 (memory is a little frail now after finals!). Nursing is based at Magee which has a huge amount of people on it, and they're often offsite doing practical training etc.

If you saw the size of the Union tho you'd think there were only around 500 students :rolleyes: It can feel a little antisocial at times because there's nothing really on campus to keep people there so if your mates aren't coming to meet you there's not much chance of bumping into them anywhere either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Better late then never eh? :D

Yeah derry is a small enough place i always say when people ask that it reminds me of Dublin 10-15 years ago in terms of size and people

I agree and disagree with ellscurr (as always ;) ) i think magee is what you make of it, if you come lookin for a great experience out of it you can get it, she was right about the union but i think thats cos it does be the same people drinkin the same drink talkin the same ****é so alot of people would go for the few clubs/ pubs/maybe someones house

Is your friend into any sports or general hobbies? Magee has mens and womens gaelic teams, rugby teams and i believe hockey but not too sure bout the hockey. I know there are a fair few society's the best thing to do is get your friend to go to the freshers fair and will get heaps of info

I disagree with the snobs post i know alot of people from various courses and walks of life and of course you get a few but as oul mr tayto said "There's always one" :D

Ahh there you are GAAman....it's been so long I almost missed you! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

ah yeah she would be into the sports clubs, thanks so much everyone for your advice, really was helpful, ill pass it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

ellscurr wrote: »
    Ahh there you are GAAman....it's been so long I almost missed you! :p

Only almost? Ah boo!! ;)

No worries gem sure if your friend needs more info etc pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I'm starting Computer Science next monday, can't wait :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement