Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus smartcards

Options
  • 27-08-2008 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Just noticed on the DB website that they've rolled out their new 'smartcards' - http://www.dublinbus.ie/fares_and_tickets/prepaid_smartCard.asp

From my reading of it, these smartcards will not be 'top-up-able' like the luas smart card - i.e. they'll go straight in the bin once used up. Why o why can we not have a single, refillable, smartcard that can be used on bus and luas (and trains etc...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Musha, will u whisht StiofanD a mhic...:D

These things take TIME to consider,appraise and reflect upon...

You should perhaps write a note to Ms Julie O Neill,Secretary General of the Department of Transport who has overall responsibility for the RPA`s progress (or lack of) on the issue of integrated ticketing.

I rather suspect you will recieve in return a form letter with at least one reference to the 1932 Road Transport Act,an amazing piece of the Parliamentary Draughtsmans work which If Ms O Neill and her minions are to be believed can be used to prevent the very passage of time itslef...:eek:

The current Bus Atha Cliath "Smart Card" range is the one for which it has recieved Departmental Authorization :o

There is as yet no indication as to when (if ever) Ms O Neill and her "Officials" will allow the company to introduce the FULL range of ticketing options which are available on the current system (INCLUDING an "Electronic Purse" facility)

The Department of Transport are the ONLY agency which has the power to progress these matters further.
    Bus Atha Cliath and Wayfarer Transit Systems already have a comprehensive set of software options but what we currently have is deemed by Ms O Neill and her Department to be more than enough for poor simple folk to be gettin on with....:D

Now don`t even think of enquiring about a Flat Fare system.... :P

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

thanks for the reply :)

I realise this subject has probably already been done to death on boards, but when I saw that magic word 'smartcard' on the website, I thought for one brief moment that DB had snook integrated ticketing in by the back door...I was wrong :(

Advertisement