Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

evening course in web design

Options
  • 27-08-2008 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello, I am currently looking to do a web design course in the evening (maybe one night a week). I am a graphic designer and want to be able to do a bit of web design too. I'd really be looking to learn small amount of html and dreamweaver and hopefully flash at some stage. Can anyone recommend any courses in Dublin or Kildare? I have researched but there is not a lot, im starting to think i may have to teach myself!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Doesn't seem to be any decent courses really. Something like this might be decent to get you started, but if you want to get in to web design, best thing is to start teaching yourself the basics of HTML/CSS and take it from there.
    http://www.iact.ie/iopen24/product_info.php?products_id=1

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I havent come across a course yet that has been updated to follow standards and moved on from stuff like tables to taks on css and xhtml. I would avoid the courses in IACT, went on one myself and found it to be hugely overly priced for what i cam out with at the end. You would be better off teaching yourself
    Check out lynda.com for online video tutorials and w3schools for the basics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maria1984

thanks for replys! yep looks like i'll be teaching myself. Its a pity there are no decent courses isn't it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

It is maria, but you will find people on here are very helpful if you need to ask something. You should give yourself a project to do like build your own website whether it be a personal website or one you intend to use to get work with a portfolio depending on what you wish to do. That way you can pop on here as you do it with any questions if you get stuck.

All the best with

I always recommend the book 'Heads first HTML & CSS' - it's a really excellent book that gives you a great grounding in HTML/CSS. It's fairly simple, and straigh-forward and not overly technical like other books. 2 thumbs up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Anyone know of something similar but the other way around?

I wouldn't mind getting some formal graphic design training.

SMB - It's the same problem I'm afraid. Perhaps you could do an open university or distance learning course in Graphic Design.

I've found myself in a similar problem but have just needed to read books as much as possible to teach myself about design.

Take a look at some of the books I posted here & the articles. They're ones I've read and really have helped.
    http://www.creativeireland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8549

Also, this sitepoint book seems like it's aimed exactly at someone like you:
    http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Beautiful-Web-Design/dp/0975841963

I've already read the Sitepoint book and it seems great as an introduction to the field but I'd like to jump in a bit deeper I guess.

I'll look into getting a few books regarding grids, typography etc. but recently I heard that it's nowhere near as helpful as getting some sort of formal training with continuous critique.

Thanks for the links anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JamieF

If you want to learn the right way to build websites, then do a course like the one in Marino college where they teach html and css, rather than a dreamweaver course....

:)

JamieF wrote: »
    If you want to learn the right way to build websites, then do a course like the one in Marino college where they teach html and css, rather than a dreamweaver course....

Which course is that? Do they teach XHTML web standards stuff?

• Advertisement

JamieF wrote: »

If you are referring to this one i really doubt that the OP will learn anything from it that is in line with todays standards. Courses offered across the board usually use tables and dont deal with css and standards used today. Dreamweaver is only a tool at the end of the day you still need to know what you are doing and anything recommended by myself or P would definitely stand to you and get you on the right track. Personally I would think that Marino course is of little use JamieF.

The fact that table based web design is still being taught is a joke. I was involved in giving dreamweaver tutorials for one of the main Irish universities not too long ago and what they were asking us to teach was so out of date it was unbelievable.

Advertisement