Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaggia evolution

Options
  • 27-08-2008 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi

I bought my friend a Gaggia evolution 2 months ago and in the beginning we used to get 2 expressos from it with a lovely crema on them. But now the machine gives a sharp tasting coffee with a hint of crema on the sides. I don't think we have changed our tamping techniques or anything. Its in Westmeath I was thinking it might be something to do with hard water affecting the tubes? Does anyone have any advice of fixing this?

Thanks ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Could be any number of things. I doubt it's the water unless it's clogged your machine. Have you cleaned the machine yet? What type of coffee are you using? Are you buying it pre-ground or grinding it yourselves? Have you changed your type of coffee of late?

I'm reading from your post that the crema used to be lovely but now is thin, this may point to stale beans.

It should take around 25seconds to pour about 50/60ml of espresso, how does this compare to what you're getting?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, the more info we can get the better though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sham08

Could be any number of things. I doubt it's the water unless it's clogged your machine. Have you cleaned the machine yet? What type of coffee are you using? Are you buying it pre-ground or grinding it yourselves? Have you changed your type of coffee of late?

I'm reading from your post that the crema used to be lovely but now is thin, this may point to stale beans.

It should take around 25seconds to pour about 50/60ml of espresso, how does this compare to what you're getting?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, the more info we can get the better though :)

How does one go about cleaning the machine (sorry we are both new at this)

We are buying pre ground coffee as we haven't got around to getting a grinder and no it is the same coffee as we used at the start.

I just checked with him and he gets one month out of a 400g container of illy expresso coffee, so perhaps it is because its gone stale.

But I would be interested in cleaning it as it just doesn't seem to be performing as it did in the beginning.

Advertisement