Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should I jump or wait to be pushed?

Options
  • 27-08-2008 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was made redundant from a position a few months ago, so before that position finished I had arranged to start an new job, which I thought would be OK.

However after a few weeks in the position I realised that the work was monotonous and also not really suited to my particular skills (I am able to do the work, but I doubt if I would ever be very good at it), so when I was offered another job, that was ideal for me, I accepted and verbally told them I was leaving.

Unfortunately due to the current economic climate that job vanished just days after I accepted it, so I had to tell my current boss that I would be staying after all. He seemed to be alright about it.

BUT I have since found out that he is now considering letting me go after all, I don't know how soon before he decides whether to keep me on or not.

With that in mind I have been trying to find another position anyway just in case, I know that something will eventually turn up and I don't have any immediate money worries such as a big mortgage.

So my question is "Is it better for me to just tell them I'm leaving anyway or should I stick at it until they decide its time for me to go ?"

(The ideal situation would be for me to get a new position first, but I know that will probably take another month or two)

Advertisement