Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denny Leinster Schools Debating Competition

Options
  • 27-08-2008 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

This is a thread for current fourth, fifth or sixth years giving a brief bit of information about the Denny Leinster Schools Debating Competition.

For those of you who don't already know this is the largest and most prestigious secondary schools debating competition in the country and has been running for over twenty years. It continues to go from strength to strenth with the help of our sponsors Denny (but no, we're afraid free sausages won't be provided at debates!) The competition is jointly wrong by the Hist in Trinity and the L&H in UCD. I'm Niamh, the new Hist convenor.

For those of you who have been involved before please do take part again. For those who haven't we'd love you to get involved, regardless of your level of experience. Debating and public speaking are skills that will stand to you throughout your life, and can also be hugely rewarding and a lot of fun.

Letters and emails will be going out to your schools in the next few weeks. We particularly want new schools to get involved this year so if you have an interest but haven't heard about it in your school ask a teacher you think would be willing to help to enter you in the competition.

If anyone has any questions feel free to post them up here and I'll be sure to get back to you.

Looking forward to seeing some of you in the next few months,

Niamh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I did that last year, it was good and a very high standard but unfortunately I had a table quiz and German debate on the same day so did little to no preparation and barely learned my speech so we didn't get past the first round.

Well worth doing it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

Hi,

The closing date for applications is coming up but we'd still love to hear from more schools. If your school hasn't applied yet do get in contact about the competition.

Thanks,

Niamh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Ah Jaysus, that time of year again..!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i wanted to do it as i did the dcu debates last year and loved them(my school won we rule) but i dont have the fecking time this year

Advertisement