Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Comic Cast - suggestions & ideas

• 26-08-2008 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Howdy all! The Comic Cast has been on the go now for over two months and so far we've interviewed Chris Judge, Rob Curley and Bob Byrne. Reaction has been great so far. We thought we'd throw the bone to you guys on Boards.ie to see if you had any ideas or suggestions or just general thoughts on the show so far. ie. who do you think we should interview? Have we not discussed a certain Irish comic book that you'd like us too? Whatever it is - let us know!

Craig & Liam

(The Comic Cast is a forthnightly Irish podcast about the world of comic-books, llustrators and animators)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

He's just nipped off to Paris for a few days, but you could do a lot worse than interview Pádraig Ó Méalóid - he's not a comic creator per se, but has probably done more than any other individual to document the Irish comics scene.

Also, you should talk to Cliodhna (ztoical) once the GOAL anthology she's putting together is being printed. And help us make people turn up to 24 Hour Comic Day and get involved in Irish Free Comic Day too. And if you could also do my ironing afterwards that'd be great ;)

I'd be interested in hearing interviews with the big Irish webcomickers - you've done Bob Byrne, but I'd love to hear what the likes of AdamDeclan Murray from Drastic, Gearóid Molloy of Neko and Yellow Sticky, and perhaps the two lads from Press Start To Play and Patrick Brown have to say for themselves. I'm fairly sure they'd be able to offer a slightly different perspective to the gang who work chiefly in print.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ComicCast

Hey Fysh,

We've had a good few people direct us towards Pádraig Ó Méalóid, in fact Rob Curley even reccomended him during his own interview on the podcast, so rest assured we'll be contacting him.

We've been talking to Cliodhna via e-mail for a good while now and you can expect an appearence from her on the show in the coming weeks. We've been name dropping the GOAL anthology, the 24hr comic day and free Irish comic day in a few of our podcasts thus far and you can hear Bob Byrne and Rob Curley's thoughts on them during their interviews. (The Irish Comic Challenge has got a mention or two as well. :D)

Irish Webcomics is certainly an area we'll look into. Do you have a website address for Declan Murray from Drastic so we can have a gawk?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

ComicCast wrote: »
    Declan Murray

Woohoo Declan....lol now he'll be forced to change it!

Have we missed something? . . . haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

First time listener to the podcast and enjoying what i hear very much, the latest of which with Bob Byrne being perhaps the funniest comic podcast i've ever heard. Definitely a change from the usual American fanboys I'm used to hearing on comic podcast.

I would also love to hear interviews with Irish webcomics creators as Fysh suggested, most of whom i'm entirely unfamiliar with.

Keep the episodes coming.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 10,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Have we missed something? . . . haha.

Heh, his name's actually Adam Murray (he draws and co-writes www.drasticcomics.com) but when a few of us met him at a comic jam a while back it was decided by someone that he looked more like a Declan and was thus re-christened. He's probably not very happy about this, but as I recall he didn't get a say in the matter...

Fysh wrote: »
    it was decided by someone that he looked more like a Declan

In my defence I have a very poor memory for names and he had squishy "Declan" like hair [esp when compared to Fysh's hair :D]

ztoical wrote: »
    In my defence I have a very poor memory for names and he had squishy "Declan" like hair [esp when compared to Fysh's hair :D]

Oh, don't start that again. The look on that poor girl's face when you asked her to choose between his hair and mine was comment enough on my much-maligned tresses. (It's a miracle I didn't end up opting for the Garibaldi Special that night, all things considered...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭alnolan

Oh quit whinging. At least you HAVE hair.

alnolan wrote: »
    Oh quit whinging. At least you HAVE hair.

Heh, from the looks and comments I was given that night you'd think that my follicles were some sort of vile slander against the very concept of dead protein strands dangling from cutaneous cells. Next time I'll threaten to shave my head and then stick chest hair on it, that'll shut 'em up. (Probably make me a laughing stock as well, but what the hell...)

• Advertisement

Heh, his name's actually Adam Murray (he draws and co-writes www.drasticcomics.com) but when a few of us met him at a comic jam a while back it was decided by someone that he looked more like a Declan and was thus re-christened. He's probably not very happy about this, but as I recall he didn't get a say in the matter...

Aha. If he's ever on the show this will be a topic on which he will be grilled on.
    magwea wrote: »
    First time listener to the podcast and enjoying what i hear very much, the latest of which with Bob Byrne being perhaps the funniest comic podcast i've ever heard. Definitely a change from the usual American fanboys I'm used to hearing on comic podcast.

I would also love to hear interviews with Irish webcomics creators as Fysh suggested, most of whom i'm entirely unfamiliar with.

Keep the episodes coming.

Cheers Magwea.

Aha. If he's ever on the show this will be a topic on which he will be grilled on.

Eeeeeeeeeexcellent. </ Mr Burns voice>

Don't forget to also mention things like the horrific crime against facial hair represented in this photo. (You can find more pictures of his beard-related boldness here, if you felt for some reason compelled to go looking for them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Lets see.
    Nick Roche has the Whole Maximum dinobots coming out soon. So maybe give him a nod.
    You also have the two Stephens over at IDW as well.

Don't know if they'd count but the Lads organising the Dublin Comic Con?

Oh Paul Cornell. He's always Great.

Thanks Mark. We literally have a big list of people and things to cover in the podcast and the Dublin Comic Con is right up there near the top.

When droppin' names and comics that'd you like us to look into, try and leave a link to their site or blog or whatever cause sometimes they can be hard to find through google with just a name. Also we're very lazy . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭livingtargets

would definitly have to add support to the O`mealoid idea.
    That and,of course,mr.Declan Shalvey.A fantastic artist and a sound fella

I'll second the Shalvey comment, although he told me at Bristol that his name is usually (mis)pronounced by folks in Britain as something along the lines of Duncan Shalev. Just as well too, means we won't get him confused with Declan "Adam" Murray :D

(On a serious note, I can't wait until the adaptation of Frankenstein that he's doing is out, the preview pages at Bristol looked gorgeous)

O'Mealoid gets pushed up our list so! Good news on the Dec Shalvey front is that we already have him lined-up for a podcast so expect to hear him on the show sometime in Sept or Oct.

www.thecomiccast.com

hey lads I don't know if its just happening to me but when I downloaded your interview with Rob via itunes I got the Chris Judge ep again and the Iron man, zombies ep wouldn't download at all. I got them via the website no problem.

Did anyone else try listening via itunes and have any issues?

We've been hearing of a few people having trouble with iTunes. They all worked fine for me but I'm looking into it. Sorry for the trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

MarkHall wrote: »
    Lets see.
    Nick Roche has the Whole Maximum dinobots coming out soon. So maybe give him a nod.
    You also have the two Stephens over at IDW as well.

Second Nick Roche - saw his exhibition up in Belfast a while back, excellent stuff :D

• Advertisement

As promised, on this weeks Comic Cast, we have Cliodhna Lyons on the show! You can download the podcast over at www.thecomiccast.com Enjoy.

Great stuff, I look forward to listening to it later. I've been listening to the other podcasts over the last few days, some great stuff in there lads (kind of worried about Bob spilling the beans about my reasons for moving to London though :D). Also, the very end of the interview with Bob was genius...exactly how did the conversation manage to get to discussing Bob's habits in the shower?

As promised, on this weeks Comic Cast, we have Cliodhna Lyons on the show! You can download the podcast over at www.thecomiccast.com Enjoy.

Woohoo I don't sound american! but I do say "you know" waaaaaaaay to much lol. My cat kept running across poor Liam trying to catch a fly, you can hear his little bell ringing in the background :D

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

I'm listening to Bob's one, bloody class! :D
    I downloaded your one as well Cliodhna, I'll listen to it after Bob's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Hoovers

Good work dudes,

Was listening to the Chris Judge one- great episode, then you finished the show with one of the best Ween songs of all time! Excellent stuff. :D

Hoovers wrote: »
    Good work dudes,

Was listening to the Chris Judge one- great episode, then you finished the show with one of the best Ween songs of all time! Excellent stuff. :D

Cheers man. You can thank Chris for the Ween song as we always let the interviewee choose the closing track. That's the reason for the rather varied, ahem, quality of music over the other interview shows so far. ;)

This weeks Comic Cast is now available to download from www.thecomiccast.com We talk about the Marvel Apes, Marvel Noir, Jeffrey Brown and we single handedly save the Irish comics scene.

Oh no wait. We talk about how one might save the Irish comics scene. That was it.

Good stuff lads, had a listen to the first half hour this morning. Delighted to hear someone else ragging on the conceptual rubbishness of Marvel Apes, nice to know I'm not the only person who looked at it and thought it was dire....

It occurs to me - there's someone in Kilkenny starting up some comics and/or manga classes for kids. Might be another possible interviewee for a future podcast?

It occurs to me - there's someone in Kilkenny starting up some comics and/or manga classes for kids. Might be another possible interviewee for a future podcast?

That would be the blackbird gallery Art Lab and I'm teaching those classes and I think my interview already went on long enough lol

• Advertisement

ztoical wrote: »
    That would be the blackbird gallery Art Lab and I'm teaching those classes and I think my interview already went on long enough lol

Heh, never mind so. Still, it's worth getting the word out I guess :)

Advertisement