Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get out of an ESB bill

Options
  • 26-08-2008 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

I want out of an ESB bill. Its upto date and above board. We have had 3 housemates (All students) default at the last minute on final payment.

No one wants to accept responsibility for it when I leave. Therefore I am caught in a catch 22 situation. I am not living in the house but I am paying for other people to use my gas. The letting agent (one of the biggest in the country wont accept the bill back).

I am trully stuck in this jam. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chessman

I want out of an ESB bill. Its upto date and above board. We have had 3 housemates (All students) default at the last minute on final payment.

No one wants to accept responsibility for it when I leave. Therefore I am caught in a catch 22 situation. I am not living in the house but I am paying for other people to use my gas. The letting agent (one of the biggest in the country wont accept the bill back).

I am trully stuck in this jam. Any advice appreciated.
    if the bills are in your name only you are responsible,GET YOUR NAME REMOVED IMMEDIATELY,TAKE A METER READING OF BOTH GAS AND E.S.B.and contact their offices and close the account,anything used after that is not your responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think you should also tell the landlord/agent if you think the electricity is going to be switched off. It may be a violation of the lease to allow the electricity to be cut off.

Make sure that the landlord is happy to remove your name from the lease too. He doesn't necessarily have to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tell them that you will be asking for service to be cut off. Then ask for service to be cut off. I imagine they will pay up then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭skooterblue

Thanks to every one for your advice. In my distress it was the Gas bill not ESB.

The letting agent advised me to order it be cut off. It would cost me €50 to change the name but it will cost nothing for me to have it cut off, but €115 to have the next person put it on.

I have done all I can to be a good tennent, They had their chance. let them sort it out.

DONT ACCEPT BILLS FOR ANYONE YOU DONT KNOW!!!

Advertisement