Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On honours maths...

Options
  • 26-08-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭

I had previously enquired in the mature/non-traditional students forum if I was okay to study from Text & Tests books which I bought over a year ago to sit the exam next June and it was suggested I ask here.

I caught the end of a story about the leaving certificate changing on the news so I wanted to be certain before I begin studying.

If anyone can englighten me I should very much appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

You're ok to go ahead with T&T, the new Maths syllabus is just starting the pilot stage at the moment. Won't be changed by the time you sit the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks, sorry for the late reply. I went into the VEC in Ballsbridge in Dublin yesterday to inquire as to where I might take an evening/adult class for honours maths and they could only tell me of one school, St. Oliver Plunketts in Whitehall, which runs one in the evenings.

I am going to go and speak to someone on Monday at Plunketts but I do this in the knowledge that they currently don't have enough applicants to start the class so it may not go ahead. The VEC recommended if this were the case I should just take an ordinary level class and sit the honours exam anyway.

Either class would cost me ~€400 but I would be willing to pay a bit more to attend a private college if the Plunkett class doesn't go ahead or if it would benefit me more. Could anyone advise me? One thing to consider is that if the Plunkett class goes ahead with the minimum number of students it will benefit the class beyond simply going ahead because the teacher will have more time for each of us

Also, and I know it's already September 13 but I would like to spend the next 3/4 weeks revising and doing the exercises in from the Junior Certificate Text & Tests books which I have here beside me. If memory serves our class started with book 1 and after a few months some of us went onto book 2 but we all did book 3 so Can I just revise book 2 and 3 for the purposes of preparing myself for an honours maths class, i.e. is everything in book 1 in book 2 and 3? Also is the Text & Text series what most teachers would use and recommend?

Thoughts, comments and suggestions very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

Hi again,
    Firstly I'm open to correction on anything I say here.

Regarding the suggestion that you do the OL course and then sit the HL exam if the higher course doesn't run seems quite pointless to me. There is a rather large difference in standard between the two levels so my gut instinct is that you wouldn't be properly prepared for the task ahead of you.

If you want to revise using T&T books, then 2 would be your best bet, that's the book JC HL students use to complete the course. Book 1 covers the whole course for OL JC and HL students generally get through it in the first and second year. Book 3 is for OL Leaving Cert so wouldn't really be of much benefit. T&T 4 and 5 are for the LC higher course (which I'm sure you know.....sorry).

Best of luck with it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks, I appreciate the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

If you are self motivated you could study yourself at home. The full syllabus is available here.

http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=17216&pcategory=17216&ecategory=17233&language=EN

You could then get a private grind either one on one or small group once a week. I suppose expect to pay €40 - €50 for that although not sure if Dublin is more expensive. Try all the private leaving cert schools -

The Institute of Education
    Bruce College
    Dublin Tutorial Centre
    etc

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/08/13/story16338.asp

• Advertisement
Advertisement