Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phd topics

Options
  • 26-08-2008 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi I am currently nearing the end of my degree (Maths & Statistics).

Ideally I would like to enter the job market in some form of market research, but I would also like to do a part time masters or phd in some aspect of business, which has always interested me. I would probably do it with the University of Limerick

My questions:

Has anyone here done a part time phd?

Do you pay for it, or would you be lkely to get funding?

Is it for career prospects or for other reasons you did it?

Do you work from home on it, or must you attend the university in some shape or form?

Must you be working in the same country when you are doing it?

And most importantly, how would you think of a topic?

Categories I think I would progress well at are "Entrepreneurial Studies", "Marketing and Small Business" & "Insurance and Risk Analysis". Listed in order of preference.

Any help/topic suggestions greatly appreciated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

mr_me wrote: »
    Hi I am currently nearing the end of my degree (Maths & Statistics).

Ideally I would like to enter the job market in some form of market research, but I would also like to do a part time masters or phd in some aspect of business, which has always interested me. I would probably do it with the University of Limerick

My questions:

Has anyone here done a part time phd?

Do you pay for it, or would you be lkely to get funding?

Is it for career prospects or for other reasons you did it?

Do you work from home on it, or must you attend the university in some shape or form?

Must you be working in the same country when you are doing it?

And most importantly, how would you think of a topic?

Categories I think I would progress well at are "Entrepreneurial Studies", "Marketing and Small Business" & "Insurance and Risk Analysis". Listed in order of preference.

Any help/topic suggestions greatly appreciated

A major point : the topics arent PhD topics. They are areas. A Phd Topic would be something like "an examination of the impact of viral non-internet marketing on hightech SMEs" or "examinig the effect of adopting a lower-bound conditional value at risk approach to defined pension plans". What you have are areas that are of interest to you. Great, but to go from that to a PhD topic is a long step.
    While you can go onto a Phd from an undergrad, as a parttime student that would be risky on all sides. I would strongly suggest getting a bit more research experience. Then talk to researchers in a lot of universities to see who is on the ball in the areas you find of interest.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mr_me

thanks for the reply.

i guess i can make a more informed statement this time round.

is there a resource available to decide on a topic (e.g. some aspect of entrepreneurship)

is there a website with topics still not explored, or is it best to talk to researchers, lecturers & funding bodies first to see what advice they can give?

Advertisement