Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel 5

Options
  • 26-08-2008 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Due to Sky Sports not renewing their contract with the NBA, channel 5 picked up the rights. I can't get this through my current provider. :( Is tehre anyway of picking it up? :confused: Legally too btw, not looking to break the law.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not on cable/MMDS, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Not on cable/MMDS, no.

What would I need to get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

if you have sky digital and are out of your 12 month contract you can pick up a uk ftv card which will provide C5 and its sister channels. There is talk it will go Free to Air on satelitte to accommodate freesat around october or that.
    not a hope of it been provided by sky ireland though due to rights issues and sky not wanting to pay for the epg listing. some small cable providers provide it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

just buy a UK Sky Card and switch it with your Irish card whenever you want.

unplug the phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Pal wrote: »
    just buy a UK Sky Card and switch it with your Irish card whenever you want.

unplug the phone line.

Seems hard enough to get your hands on one of these, £20 for the card and then they charge you £25 for use of an address for 2 years. So basically 100 euro!!!

• Advertisement

if you arent in a hurry wait until october.. five should be fta without a card around the end of october according to threads circulating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

Hi,

Im a bit confused..

We got our Skybox at the very start of Sky Digital and never had to get it connected to a phone line.

Is it possible for us to get a Sky free to air card that will slot in and get Channel 5? If yes, where I can get one of these cards?

Thanks. :)

no. its one or the other. you either put your irish card or your uk ftv card in. you cannot put 2 cards in a sky digibox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

So if you get a UK Sky card do you still pay subscription to them? Kind of lost on the whole thing. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭FreedomJoe

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    So if you get a UK Sky card do you still pay subscription to them? Kind of lost on the whole thing. :confused:

In the UK there are 2 types of Sky Card.

1 Which is subscription.
    2 A FTA Card.

Neither of these are available officially to residents outside of the UK.

What you are looking for is option 2 a FTA Sky Card. You would need to pop onto ebay and purchase one from there.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Free-To-Air-British-Satellite-Veiwing-Card_W0QQitemZ130250300330QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130250300330&_trkparms=72%3A1089%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Once you have this card you would simply replace the current Sky card you have into the same slot and switch of your Sky box and you will then have the UK FTA Sky Channels. You will need to switch cards again if you want to return to your Irish Subscription.

To be honest however you would be far better of waiting till around oct-dec as there is another satellite service in the UK called Freesat. Again this service is not available to residents of the ROI offically but you can easily pop up to Argos in NI and pick one up for around €50. The Freesat service offers all the UK channels for free with 5 due to come on around Oct time.
    You simply pay got the box and everything else is free!
    The only snag is you will need to have someone who can wire you a second cable from your existing sky dish to your new box.

Its very simple to do, you just need a drill, a few tacks, lnb connectors and a cable.

You can view more information on freesat here. WWW.freesat.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Just rescanned 28E & lo & behold a channel called 'Five T2 Reg 2' shows up, its Five. SR-27500000 Pol-H FEC-2/3

Enjoy while you can :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

fishfoodie wrote: »
    Just rescanned 28E & lo & behold a channel called 'Five T2 Reg 2' shows up, its Five. SR-27500000 Pol-H FEC-2/3

Enjoy while you can :-)

Whats the frequency on the Sky box ?

Whats the frequency on the Sky box ?

Not sure mate, I've watching on a vanilla FTA Dreambox shows Freq as 1230400 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Hmm.... just scanned that in on my Strong and whilst the channel appears in the listing, it is scrambled and not viewable.

are you using a Sky card with your dreambox or is it totally fta for you?

mj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

mjsmyth wrote: »
    Hmm.... just scanned that in on my Strong and whilst the channel appears in the listing, it is scrambled and not viewable.

I found the same thing.

mjsmyth wrote: »

are you using a Sky card with your dreambox or is it totally fta for you?

mj

Totally FTA. Odd still showing for me

"I'm very confused Ted !" :D

Its only Rory McGrath at the moment so maybe your better off not recieving it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

same here like eggs its scrambled!

I swear I've only had the one glass of vino folks.

Maybe the numbers I've given you are off, check the other 'Five*' channels perhaps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

I check it , its scrambled. No info of it going FTA on King of Sat or Lyngsat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

she shows up on my sky box under Five T2 Reg 2, as mentioned, but sadly, it tells me to stick in my sky viewing card.

tried on my sky box with active sub, and I got programme not available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭stanley1

works fine here with freesatfromsky card.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

I hope it goes FTA for the Ireland v Georgia game on 6 Sep. I don't know why FIVE would buy the rights to that game though.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

christo82 wrote: »
    I hope it goes FTA for the Ireland v Georgia game on 6 Sep. I don't know why FIVE would buy the rights to that game though.
    Wow, according to LJ's you're right. Game is also on RTÉ Two though.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

byte wrote: »
    Wow, according to LJ's you're right. Game is also on RTÉ Two though.

I didn't know it was on RTE also. It wasn't listed the last time I checked LJ's site. Cheers mate for pointing that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Due to Sky Sports not renewing their contract with the NBA, channel 5 picked up the rights. I can't get this through my current provider. :( Is tehre anyway of picking it up? :confused: Legally too btw, not looking to break the law.

Any help appreciated.

The NBA haven't announced the rights for 2008/09 yet. Five will probably get the terrestrial rights again this year. With Sky out, it looks like NASN should get the satellite rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Tim131

ro2 wrote: »
    The NBA haven't announced the rights for 2008/09 yet. Five will probably get the terrestrial rights again this year. With Sky out, it looks like NASN should get the satellite rights.

Any idea when they will announce who get's the rights?

I hope it's NASN...

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

christo82 wrote: »

Why not. Big enough Irish community in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

ro2 wrote: »

I wouldn't be so sure-NASN is dominated by ESPN programming (hmm, wonder why?) and ESPN doesn't show NBA AFAIK.

Who had satellite rights last year? Sky weren't showing it then either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure-NASN is dominated by ESPN programming (hmm, wonder why?) and ESPN doesn't show NBA AFAIK.

They sure do.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3522111

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I stand corrected :).

Advertisement