Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good seats at NCH?

Options
  • 26-08-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi there

I'm looking to book tickets for an upcoming classical music opera at the National Concert Hall. Having never been to an opera before i wondered which would be the best seats to book so we can really enjoy the whole operatic experience fully. I can take either the yellow balcony, either of the side balconies or the stalls. Its for a birthday present for someone so i really want to make the night special.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Personally, I love the yellow balcony. Nice view, but I've never seen an opera up there.

Side balconies might strain the neck slightly (speaking from experience! Although I'm awkward :) )

Yellow balcony, is, however, the most expensive if I remember correctly?

Whats the Opera by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Last time I went I sat in the middle of the back row of the stalls (last minute student tickets!), honestly thought they were great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Go for the stall for sure. Balcony can be poor for opera as it is a bit too distant for some voices which get lost in the NCH. Side balcony not as bad, ad least you're closer - nice if you want to watch the musicians. But for opera, the stalls.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I quite like middle front of the yellow balcony for opera, you can see and hear everything, in my opinion.

Side balconies are okay but, as mentioned, there can be some neck strain.

I actually dislike the stalls in the NCH, especially if you are near the front. I don't want to just look at people's feet. But maybe that's just cause I'm a bit short.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Row S is the best row in the stalls, and I know a lot of people who agree with me on this. It's the best sound anyway, and probably a good enough view for an opera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 fififofum

I went for the centre of the yellow balcony in the end. Read somewhere that the 'rake' in the stalls isnt great so i didnt want to be straining my neck! The opera is a fully staged production of Mozarts Magic Flute, it's on in October. As i've never been to an opera before i'm really looking forward to this and hope i've picked a good one.

Thanks to all for replying!

Advertisement