Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threat to Barack Obama

Options
  • 26-08-2008 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Police are investigating whether a man arrested with rifles, ammunition and drugs near the Democratic Convention may have been plotting to kill Barack Obama.

15086852.jpg
    Suspect Tharin Gartrell (Photo: Aurora Police Department)

Officers in Denver, Colorado, have confirmed three men are being held in connection with drugs and weapons offences.
    Sky News' political editor Adam Boulton, in Denver, said one of the group is reported to have made comments alerting police to a potential assassination plot.
    Security services are confident there is no "credible" threat to Mr Obama.
    Tharin Gartrell, 28, was arrested following a traffic stop for erratic driving early on Sunday by police in the eastern Denver suburb of Aurora.

15086826.jpg
    Convention security 'pretty intense'

Detective Marcus Dudley, of Aurora Police Department, said: "The sergeant discovered inside his truck a bullet-proof vest, two rifles, ammunition, walkie-talkies and drugs."
    Police alerted federal authorities, who used additional information to arrest Nathan Johnson, 32, in Aurora.
    A third man, Shawn Robert Adolf, 33, was arrested at an Aurora hotel.
    Police said that when they knocked on the door of the hotel room, he jumped out of a sixth-floor window, landed on an awning and ran off.
    Officers later found him with a broken ankle.
    Officials with the FBI, Secret Service, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and Aurora police are to hold a news conference later.
    Law enforcers in Denver are now trying to find out how valid the reported threats to Mr Obama were.
    "It could also turn out that these were nothing but a bunch of knuckleheads," the US government official said.
    Democratic delegates have gathered in Denver for a party convention that will see Mr Obama formally confirmed as the first black man to run for President in US history.

15086806.jpg
    Obama due in Denver on Wednesday

The Senator, whose family spoke at the Democratic Convention, is due to arrive in Denver on Wednesday at the earliest.
    Boulton described security as "pretty intense" in the build-up.
    He said: "The fact that Barack Obama is the first African-American to become a nominee does raise some concerns."
    One of the men arrested is reported to have links with a white supremacist organisation.
    US Attorney Troy Eid said security services are "confident that there is no credible threat to candidate, convention or city of Denver".
    Boulton added: "It is unknown whether the absence of a threat is because the group are in custody or because they were never frankly up to it."
    It does appear, he said, they are a "fairly ramshackle bunch of redneck supremacists".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭buddyonair

my two cents:

What are they trying to hide with this? What is this distraction for?

Anyone knows the movie "Wag the dog"?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

What do you mean,what are they trying to hide? 3 guys were arrested for drugs and weapons possession. Something was said that might indicate an attempted assassination, but we don't know if it was serious, drug induced, or just bullshìt.

You're really stretching with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

It's the 45th anniversary of the MLK "i have a dream speech". White Supremacists are having a field day.
    buddyonair wrote: »
    my two cents:

What are they trying to hide with this? What is this distraction for?

Anyone knows the movie "Wag the dog"?

Yes buddy it's called fiction.

This could have been made for you, buddy.

417.gif

Thanks, Dio.

I really like it!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Actually, if it was an assassination plot, the last line explains it all, really:
    It does appear, he said, they are a "fairly ramshackle bunch of redneck supremacists".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

More overblown shiite, terror alert redneck. Probably some ejjit getting high starin at his guns. The American Dream, minus the getting high and possibly the starin.

Edit:Soooo, wtc7 report out. Not much noise do i hear.....strange.

Edit:Soooo, wtc7 report out. Not much noise do i hear.....strange.

Nothing new was presented. this could be a reason why the press is not interested in it, right? :rolleyes:

Nothing new was presented. this could be a reason why the press is not interested in it, right? :rolleyes:

Yeah, er cause no press covered it at all.

Popular Mechanics or The New York Times

Alternatively that aside from a couple of crank idiotic websites, radio shows and forums the majority of humanity isn't too bothered about idiotic WTC 7 conspiracy theories.

Diogenes wrote: »
    Yeah, er cause no press covered it at all.

Popular Mechanics or The New York Times

Alternatively that aside from a couple of crank idiotic websites, radio shows and forums the majority of humanity isn't too bothered about idiotic WTC 7 conspiracy theories.

exactly :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

A man from Blackburn has been arrested for terror offences and is linked to threats to assassinate the prime minister.

15086906.jpg
    Police stand outside a Blackburn house after the arrest of suspects earlier in August

Police say no actual plot had been put into place but there were calls for Gordon Brown's death on an extremist jihad website in January.

The 25-year-old is the fourth person from Blackburn to be arrested for terror offences in the last two weeks.

He was detained at 6.40am and police were searching a flat behind a butcher's shop in the Whalley Range area of the town.

The three others, aged 21, 22 and 23, are being questioned by police after two were arrested at Manchester airport and one in Accrington on August 14.

Neighbours described two of the suspects as "normal everyday lads".

Police sources say all four of the men are linked to the threats to kill Gordon Brown.

And a spokeswoman said: "The arrest is part of an ongoing investigation by Lancashire Constabulary and Greater Manchester Counter Terrorism Unit."

Officers have travelled to Scandinavia as part of their investigation.

They now have until Thursday before they have to start charging or releasing the men or seeking an extension to their custody.

One man who lives in Percival Street, where two of the men lived, said:

"You don't expect it on your doorstep but that's life. It could happen anywhere."

• Advertisement

exactly :rolleyes:

What? Seriously what? You claim major news sources didn't report on the WTC 7 NIST report, but they did. What blithering little point are you scrambling to make here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

Hehe <3 the bunny too...I think I'll steal it....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Really now, Who remembers a guy who kills a presidential Nominee? He should have waited to see if Obama won. Otherwise he is just another murderer.

2 guys, Hardly a real big conspiracy. Real serious professional Assassins would not use Drugs, It fecks up your shot too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

2 guys, Hardly a real big conspiracy. Real serious professional Assassins would not use Drugs, It fecks up your shot too much.

Aside from Diazepam or a muscle relaxant.

Diogenes, no need for that, i would assume his "exactly" was a retort to this section of the quote which i find ironic.
    Diogenes wrote:
    the majority of humanity isn't too bothered about idiotic WTC 7 conspiracy theories.
    Diogenes wrote:
    What blithering little point are you scrambling to make here?
    Probably a bit too aggressive but what do i know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Police say No actual plot was put in place

hang on a mo here, iether they were 'plottin' to kill Gordon Brown or they werent.:confused:

and as for the Redneck rampage in the first post, seriously :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭rocky25

Three men arrested for allegedly plotting to kill Barak Obama

Four men arrested in terror plot to kill Gordon Brown

French president Nikolaus Sarkosy this morning made the following statement

"I surrender"

Advertisement