Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009/2010 UCCers?

Options
  • 26-08-2008 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

I think this'll be good for those who want to go to UCC after the 2009 leaving cert, as in, knowing people in advance lol.

So yes...

I was going to do Zoology but now I'm not sure, because I have become aware of experiments on both live and dead animals... and.. *shudders* So now I can't decide again, but I still hope to get to Cork (even though I love Dublin to pieces, but I'd have no friends there because everyone is going to Cork...)

Soo, what do you want to do in UCC? Or any other uni in Cork :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Arts with Music I think :) I'm fiona btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

I couldn't understand music in school at all I was so crap at it in first year lol :P
    Oh yeah I'm Claire =D
    *waves*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Lisa, I'm hoping to do Applied Psychology.

I'm kind of afraid of the points. Nearly died when I saw they used to be 520.
    Second choice being Drama and Theatre Studies. But not so much any more, I think.

UCC ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I think this might be slightly more suited to the UCC board. (Though it is a bit of a fence-sitter.)

Moved from Leaving Cert.

Ah, righto!!

-- Okay I think I've decided!

Go in on Arts, and I have to pick four subjects. So I'd go for
    1. Greek and Roman Civilisation
    2. Archaeology
    3. Celtic Civilisation
    4. Latin

Is that a good combination.. I mean I dunno if there are decent jobs with archaelogy or anything like that.. I'M SO CONFUSED!! :P :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Oh I know the feeling... Starting to consider doing Graphic Design now instead!!

I'm freaking out because there's only 6 months for me to decide!! AAAH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Emma08

dont worry i was the same this time last year you soon realise what you want to do!
    p.s im 18 in 6 months too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Rhapsody: I'm a ZEPS graduate (Zoology, Ecology and Plant Sci) and while I did plant science, I had to take a large chunk of the rest of ZEPS. In terms of animal experiments: one trout dissection, one swan dissection (was already dead from poisioning), lots of water flea experiments, flushed some freshwater fish's stomaches to study their diet, capture of live insects, study of some dead ones. And for 4th year projects people studied animals, but only an oyster experiment and insect ones caused death to the animals. Just any sort of zoology course involves experiments on animals. :)

And for the reason I opened this thread, might head back in 2009 for European Studies, or a masters if I can pin down my speciality :)

taram wrote: »
    Rhapsody: I'm a ZEPS graduate (Zoology, Ecology and Plant Sci) and while I did plant science, I had to take a large chunk of the rest of ZEPS. In terms of animal experiments: one trout dissection, one swan dissection (was already dead from poisioning), lots of water flea experiments, flushed some freshwater fish's stomaches to study their diet, capture of live insects, study of some dead ones. And for 4th year projects people studied animals, but only an oyster experiment and insect ones caused death to the animals. Just any sort of zoology course involves experiments on animals. :)

Finally someone who did the course! It's nice to finally get an insight into it! I love animals, and I'd love to work in a wildlife park after university, like in Fota Island or even as far as Longleat Safari in England.

Thanks for giving me some info :D Much appreciated!! It'll definitely give me something to think about for the cao form. :D

--

And Emma08 that's awesome, February birthday too?! =D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Emma08

yep the 22nd! what date is yours?

26th lol you beat me by four days :P :D
    Loads of people I know have February birthdays :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Just be warned that a lot of UCC's biology department's resources and staff are tied up in marine research, and some of the modules really reflect that. But all in all, lovely department, gives a nice broad degree. PM me if you or anyone wants more details :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Jannah

I want to do Law- can't wait!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I'm gonna do Arts next year !!!!
    French, English, Spanish and eer eh something else :) easy i hope

taram wrote: »
    Just be warned that a lot of UCC's biology department's resources and staff are tied up in marine research, and some of the modules really reflect that. But all in all, lovely department, gives a nice broad degree. PM me if you or anyone wants more details :)

oooh so it's primarily marine? Ah, I'm more of a.. well I don't know haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Jannah

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    I'm gonna do Arts next year !!!!
    French, English, Spanish and eer eh something else :) easy i hope
    Ooooh sweet! Are you going to be doing the European Studies branch of Arts, so? Aaah, I've always thought Spanish would be such a brilliant language to learn- even if only for that cool rrrrr sound they can make!! I'm learning German for the LC... eeeugh... :S It sounds so horrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Tumblebrutus

@rhapsody: Hi! I'm going into my third year at ZEPS and I'm studying zoology. While it's true that there's a huge focus on marine research in a lot of the modules, there's also a fair share of attention directed towards terrestrial environments, especially in a lot of the ecology modules. Plus, if it helps, all of the staff in ZEPS are genuinely nice people. And there are a ton of field trips! Be prepared to get very familiar with the rocky seashore!

Advertisement