Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there teachers in Dublin?

Options
  • 25-08-2008 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

or courses or starter books for Wicca?

I know where I need to be but not so sure how to get there (if that makes sense).

A little nudge in the right direction would be most appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What you do mean by wicca ?

If you are looking for book recommendations I suggest read this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055002959

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 londubh

there used be advertisements on the notice board in yellow brick road for a course. i think it was run out of a bar on the quays.
    an fainine run a moot in the teachers club once a month. there might be somone there that runs a course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I'll start by making a distinction between teaching Wicca and teaching about Wicca.

To find someone who can teach you Wicca you'd need to find someone who is qualified to do so and thinks you would work well with them as a student and you click with in the right way. This is often not easy, but they could teach you until they feel you are ready for initiation and then they can really teach you. It's a very very good idea to avoid anyone charging money for this.

To find someone who can teach you about Wicca you merely need to find someone who knows a bit more than you do, which may be someone who is also qualified to teach Wicca or it may not (for example, reading What Witches Do by Stewart Farrar will teach you about Wicca, though he wasn't Wiccan himself when he started writing that book, though he did go on to become a Third Degree since that time). This is what you get with books and courses etc. They don't teach you Wicca, but they do teach you things about Wicca and they can stand you in stead if you find someone to actually teach you the Craft. I know someone running a course soonish, though I think she's booked up, but PM me if you want. Similarly, there's a book recommendation thread that Thaedydal linked to above (which reminds me there's a book I've been meaning to add to it). It can be a good way to start, but again the only thing you can get in a pays-yer-money-takes-yer-choice way with Wicca is material about Wicca (just like you can learn about anything from books and courses and Internet sites and so on), you can't learn Wicca itself that way.

Now, this doesn't hold with all forms of witchcraft. There are a lot of different forms of witchcraft apart from Wicca and just to confuse things some of them also call themselves Wicca in the US and Canada and that's beginning to be the case here (not all of them, and some get quite peeved if you call them Wicca). Some of these other forms of witchcraft would also say that you can purchase something that'll teach you about their Craft, but not anything that'll teach you their Craft itself.

Some however don't share this with Wicca. Seax-Wica is one such example, you can learn it entirely from a book; pays yer money, do the work, and you're working Seax-Wica. The Correlian Nativist Church have an online course (then again, I know of a case where someone signed their cat up for the course and the cat made it as far as First Degree, make of that what you will). All of this seems a bit strange (indeed downright wrong) to me, but then that's me looking at it from a point of view where I'm applying Wiccan ways of doing things on non-Wiccan traditions to which they don't really apply.

You can also just do witchcraft based on a mixture of inspiration and research, which won't be Wicca but there are some damn fine witches that work that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

londubh wrote: »
    there used be advertisements on the notice board in yellow brick road for a course. i think it was run out of a bar on the quays.
    an fainine run a moot in the teachers club once a month. there might be somone there that runs a course.

The an Fainne moots are no longer held there, the current details for it are in the regular moots thread here.

Advertisement