Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Gustav (7)

Options
  • 25-08-2008 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

GUSTAV IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 14 MPH...22 KM/HR...AND
    A GRADUAL DECREASE IN FORWARD SPEED IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT COUPLE
    OF DAYS. ON THE FORECAST TRACK THE CENTER OF GUSTAV WILL BE MOVING
    NEAR OR OVER HAITI ON TUESDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 60 MPH...95 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
    GUSTS. STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS...AND
    GUSTAV COULD BECOME A HURRICANE PRIOR TO MOVING OVER LAND.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

And somewhat following in the foot steps of Fay and we thought we had flooding.

Fay dumped huge amounts of rain in this region, up to 30 inches in parts of Florida and I assume they could do without Gustav visiting same area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Fay continues to dump rain, see rain totals here for regions affected. Meanwhile Gustav's track for 3 days:
    203213W_sm.gif

And expected wind speeds in 120 hours:

203213.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I'll be in Miami when it hits if it follows that projected path.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

Oh F*cking joy. Just what we need :mad::mad:

The flood waters are still rising here and its been getting worse since Sunday.
    Lots of houses destroyed by the tornado's as they rolled on through us.And the 30 inches of rain doesnt help either.The storm drains couldnt take all the water and the sewage system backed-up onto the streets.... not the most pleasant thing. beaches got completly washed away and they only got repaired back at the end of last year costing millions.

And all that wasnt even from a hurricane :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Will be hurricanse at next advisory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Some of the latest runs have it going south of Cuba and shooting the channel. Could be a nasty one once it enters the GOM...

2s10w83.gif

HURRICANE GUSTAV TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
    NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL072008
    220 AM EDT TUE AUG 26 2008

REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT
    GUSTAV HAS BECOME A HURRICANE WITH MAXIMUM WINDS NEAR 80 MPH...130
    KM/HR. THIS CHANGE WILL BE REFLECTED IN THE 5 AM EDT ADVISORY.

$$
    FORECASTER BLAKE/AVILA

wul0te.gif

Uh oh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

:eek:Potential disaster:eek:

Issued in New Orleans...A SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT ISSUED BT STORMKATS WEATHER OFFICE CONCERNING GUSTAV..WE HAVE 2 SCENARIOS WE CAN SEE GOING ON WITH GUSTAV RIGHT NOW IT COULD TAKE....SCENARIO #1 THERE IS A TROUGH INFLUENCING GUSTAV FROM THE ATLANTIC CAUSING IT TO MOVE ON A MORE NW PATH..IF GUSTAV TAKES THIS PATH IT WILL DEFINITELY PASS OVER MORE OF CUBA AND IT WOULD EMERGE OUT INT0 THE GOM AS A STRONG TROPICAL STORM JUST WEST OF KEY WEST.....HOWEVER IF IT TAKES SCENARIO #2 AS THE TROUGH MISSES GUSTAV AND THE HIGH BUILDS IN OVER FLA AND CUBA FORCING GUSTAV TO MISS CENTRAL CUBA AND FORCING IT MORE OVER WESTERN CUBA OR BETWEEN THE YUCATAN CHANNEL AND EMERGES OUT IN THE GOM AS A CAT 3 HURRICANE...WE DONT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN ITS NOT GOOD FOR US..THE STT IN THAT PART OF THE GOM ARE NEAR 90 DEGREES WHICH WOULD ALLOW FOR GUSTAV TO STRENGTHEN RAPIDLY AND BECOME A POSSIBLE CAT 5 HURRICANE BEFORE IT REACHES ITS TARGET SOMEWHERE ALONG THE GULF COAST..ITS JUST TO EARLY TO TELL THERE IS A STRONG TROUGH SET TO ROLL ON DOWN SOMETIME EARLY NEXT WEEK..WILL THAT HAVE A STRONG EFFECT PULLING GUSTAV ON A MORE NORTHERLY TRACK..WE WILL JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE FOLKS ITS JUST TO EARLY TO CALL...THE BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE THE PEOPLE ON THE NORTHERN GULFCOAST IS TO CHECK ALL EMERGENCY SUPPLIES AND TO IMPLEMENT A PLAN OF ACTION IN CASE GUSTV HEADS OUR WAY ...FOLKS THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT WE HAVE PLENTY OF TIME TO WATCH IT AND JUST HOPE GUSTAV DOES NOT PARRALELL CUBA .....IF IT DOES THIS WE HAVE A SERIOUS SITUATION DEVELOPING AND WE WILL HAVE TO WATCH IT CLOSELY..HOPEFULLY IT TAKES SCENARIO #1 AND IS ONLY A STRONG TROPICAL STORM AS IT MOVES JUST WEST OF KEY WEST....I WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED ..THIS HAS BEEN A SPECIAL WEATHER ADVISORY FROM THE STORMKATS WEATHER OFFICE IN NEW ORLEANS LA.....StormKat

"stormkat's weather office".... :confused: :rolleyes: yeah...

"stormkat's weather office".... :confused: :rolleyes: yeah...

I think its this fella

http://abc26.trb.com/news/weather/abc26-newsteam-katz,0,4054132.story

Bruce Katz
    ABC26 Chief Meteorologist

Bruce is the only Chief Meteorologist who is a native New Orleanian who's lived his whole life in south Louisiana, spending the past 18 years predicting severe storms here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT2+shtml/270251.shtml?

GUSTAV IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE TOTAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO
    12 INCHES OVER HISPANIOLA...EASTERN CUBA...JAMAICA...AND THE CAYMAN
    ISLANDS...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF UP TO 25 INCHES
    POSSIBLE. THESE RAINS WILL LIKELY PRODUCE LIFE-THREATENING FLASH
    FLOODS AND MUD SLIDES.

That is just an unbelieveable amount of rain to fall.
    Looks like our petrol prices are going to go up again as a result of this storm.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

2a5cigz.gif

Early days yet but the models are going to give some people in New Orleans something to worry about...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Uh oh...NOAA seem to be predicting that Gustav will be headed bang on for New Orleans by Monday. They do say that days 4 and 5 of the forecast are prone to errors by 300 miles, but still.

Not sure if any of you read the Weather Underground blog by Jeff Masters (site founder and ex NOAA Hurricane Hunter) but he is saying (see here) that the conditions in the Gulf of Mexico are very similar indeed to those in 2005, when a warm patch of water off Louisiana provided fuel for Katrina which saw it jump from a Cat3 to a Cat5 cyclone.

This does not look good, I have to say...

Uh oh...NOAA seem to be predicting that Gustav will be headed bang on for New Orleans by Monday. They do say that days 4 and 5 of the forecast are prone to errors by 300 miles, but still.

Not sure if any of you read the Weather Underground blog by Jeff Masters (site founder and ex NOAA Hurricane Hunter) but he is saying (see here) that the conditions in the Gulf of Mexico are very similar indeed to those in 2005, when a warm patch of water off Louisiana provided fuel for Katrina which saw it jump from a Cat3 to a Cat5 cyclone.

This does not look good, I have to say...

It's way, way too early to try and decide on exactly where landfall will be, could be anywhere from texas to the florida panhandle.

Euro model is also developing 95L into a hurricane that could threaten florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Cat2 now and gaining str at a quick rate, 40mph increase in a few hours.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 110 MPH...175 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
    GUSTS. GUSTAV IS A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
    SCALE. RECENT SATELLITE IMAGES INDICATE THAT GUSTAV IS
    STRENGTHENING QUICKLY AND IT COULD BECOME A CATEGORY THREE
    HURRICANE AT ANY TIME BEFORE REACHING CUBA. FURTHER STRENGTHENING
    IS POSSIBLE IN THE SOUTHERN GULF OF MEXICO.

Good blog on it here.

at200807_hd.gif

at200807.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Watch the dollar per barrel match the mph of this storm next week. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

aye, gonna fill the tank up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Gustav now a Cat3 115mph sustained winds.

Forecast track takes it over the flatter terrain of western Cuba with little or no weakening and then up into the GOM. From the Florida panhandle to Texas is a threat from hurricane force winds with a Louisiana land fall most likely atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Cat4 145mph winds around the eye. Still just south of Cuba.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

• Advertisement

Forecast to go to Cat 5 over Cuba....

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

we already got squall lines of rain and thunderstorms since very early saturday morning from Gustav here in central florida despite its location being still south of cuba. More bands of rain continued all day with downpours of rain of approx 8" per hour in some locations. Numerous waterspouts and one confirmed tornado in Key West as of Saturday evening. Storm surge has already hit eastern seaboard as a result of TS Hanna and large swells are expected for the forth coming week.

Might have to evacuated if the swells get too great from hanna :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

They have started evacuations in Louisiana, I was watching the mayor saying it was the 'storm of the century', but I reckon hes scare mongering to get people to do something. Do they know where it will make landfall?

Hal1 wrote: »
    They have started evacuations in Louisiana, I was watching the mayor saying it was the 'storm of the century', but I reckon hes scare mongering to get people to do something. Do they know where it will make landfall?

Looking like central Louisiana, but could jog a bit to the east/west. Cuba weakened it more than they expected but it'll probably get back up to Cat 4 at least for a while before landfall.

Some links to streaming local news channels for media player :

mms://a527.l2258948526.c22589.n.lm.akamaistream.net/D/527/22589/v0001/reflector:48526

mms://beloint.wm.llnwd.net/beloint_wwltv

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I was about to hit the leaba, but I decided to check the satellite pics as Gustav makes its final approach to New Orleans.

The hurricane seems to have strengthened a bit more than expected, considering it had passed over the warmest Gulf waters already. And more importantly, the path of the Hurricane does seem to be making a beeline for landfall in or around New Orleans itself. Probably slightly west of it.

There's still more than 12 hours to go before things become clearer, but it's on course to be a very severe weather event.

I haven't checked up any further (I'm too tired!) but I do wonder whether it will make landfall as a Cat 4 hurricane now...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've been watching it on Fox for the last while. Looks like a new eye is forming which would be consistant with a strengthing cycle. New Orleans could be a total mess easily again.

Too tired now to keep watching.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

It's made land fall now and weakened to a cat 2.
    So far New Orleans is holding up ok so far but there is some overtopping in places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I came across this link if anyone is interested in keeping up to speed on the progress of Gustav

http://www.maroonspoon.com/wx/gustav.html

Advertisement