Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Stag Whiskey

Options
  • 25-08-2008 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have been left a bottle of "Old Stag Irish Whiskey" from John Daly & Co.I was hoping someone could tell me something about this bottle as everyone has a different story about how it was made and the value.Has anyone out there any idea?or where I could find out more about this whiskey or Distillers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Is this it http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/514431384_e0ade77889_m.jpg

Another member of this forum had a bottle. Moominpapa.

This is what was saaid about it...

My father has a bottle of Old Stag which, according to him, was distilled in Cork up to the early 70's and was aged ten years. He got a bottle as a present around the time it was shelved so that makes it over 40 years old. It looks like really strong tea and I reckon its gut rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 loyonocreo

okay, so it's 8 years since you posted your query but--here's all you want to know. In 1974 Locke's distillery shut down and John Daly and co of Kyrls Quay, Cork, bought the entire stock of distillate, which they then stored in old sherry casks (oloroso) for more than 10 years. My father, who was then MD of John Daly, brought the first bottle drawn--yet unnamed--and he and my brother tasted it in front of the fire in our home in Ballintemple and pronounced it--"liquid gold"! Dad named it "Old Stag" and my brother designed the distinctive label. Alas--I was teetotal at that time.!
    If you still have the bottle unopened I would dearly like to make you an offer. I would love to share it with my son and his son and you'd be welcome to join us.

Advertisement