Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which car?

Options
  • 25-08-2008 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Hi any info from owners appreciated

My wife is looking to change her motor.
    the following 3 is what she has settled on

2005 520d (I still can't get over how ugly it is!!!) sorry owners.

2005 320d current shape

2005 accord 2.2

All diesel

I own a 2002 e39 530d and am very happy with same

A few questions if I may?

1.in regards to the 320d are all of them 6 speed?

2. From looking at the VRT calculator they all come in at 20% I thought some of these came in at 16%

3. what are the current 320d like MPG, reliability?

4. the accord diesel (a boards favourite) looking online up north about 8000 GBP. with VRT paid and a currency rate of 0.79 it would work out about €14,000-€15,000
    am I missing something as some down south are still on CBG etc for €26,000

5. are 2005 accords available in 6sp or are they all 5 & whats MPG like?

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,151 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you are going to import a diesel then go to the UK, I would not buy a used diesel from the North for two reasons. 1. Used cars can be more expensive up North than on the UK mainland. 2. "Washed" I think is the term used to describe poor quality diesel being used up there is rife from what I have heard.

Also £8k for a 2005 Accord is expensive. Someone on here recently bought or was in the process of buying a 6 month old 2008 Accord diesel for £13k. I know someone who paid £6 for a 05 Accord with 70k miles and FHSH.

Cannot really advise you on which to buy but used Accord diesels are good value in the UK. Just make sure you do the usual background checks before parting with your cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Traded in a 318D (same engine just lower bhp) and the trip was reading something like 46 mpg. Just incase, as along as she factors in the fact that all the cars she has chosen have come down in price since the vrt changes, and the new models have lower tax etc. etc. then everything should be fine. All of the above mentioned are smashing cars.

If your importing for the Uk you might as well do it right. Get something with a full service history (to back up mileage for yourself and for when it comes to selling it on in a few years time). Also get something with a high spec. Your the buyer so take the time to find something right. Don't just go over some weekend with the intention to come home with something. Do your research, if you see something you like go for it, but make sure you have another few lined up incase it's sold etc. It can seem like an easy trip over the look at a few cars but once your over there you realis then how far you can have to travel.

Also if your selling your own 530D to raise funds, be prepared for a shock price wise, as like wise with the prices of the new models coming down relflecting the rest of the range, the 520D has slashed the market of the 530D.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

Thanks for the advice lads. Only have the 530 18 months. I don't plan on changing so wont be taking any hit on it. usually when I buy my self ill keep it until its well over 200,000 miles.

Which 320d attracts the 16% VRT?

thanks again for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you are going to import a diesel then go to the UK, I would not buy a used diesel from the North for two reasons. 1. Used cars can be more expensive up North than on the UK mainland. 2. "Washed" I think is the term used to describe poor quality diesel being used up there is rife from what I have heard.

Also £8k for a 2005 Accord is expensive. Someone on here recently bought or was in the process of buying a 6 month old 2008 Accord diesel for £13k. I know someone who paid £6 for a 05 Accord with 70k miles and FHSH.

Cannot really advise you on which to buy but used Accord diesels are good value in the UK. Just make sure you do the usual background checks before parting with your cash.

Can you explain more about the poor quality diesel in the north

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

trabpc wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice lads. Only have the 530 18 months. I don't plan on changing so wont be taking any hit on it. usually when I buy my self ill keep it until its well over 200,000 miles.

Which 320d attracts the 16% VRT?

thanks again for the info.

Someone like E92 will know for sure but I think that the efficient dynamics system is a fairly recent addition to BMW diesels so there may not be a 2005 version that has low enough emmissions to get 16%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Efficient Dynamics only came in this year. In 2005 the 320d would be 163bhp, and in either late 2006 or 2007 it became 170bhp. Not sure if the 170 version of the 320d without ED made it to the 16% bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

Thanks guys.

Advertisement