Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching private classes - stingy students!

Options
  • 25-08-2008 5:35pm

I was just looking for some advice about private classes and payment. I've been teaching English one to one for 2-3 years now, and I've never had a problem with payment. I've advertised my rate and the student always paid in full after each class. I've recently had some bad experiences with Polish students, one in particular which has left me raging! I posted an ad with my prices, this guy got back to me and we arranged to meet for a class. At the end of the class, he tells me we have to go to the ATM as he had no cash, which I thought was quite rude and a bit disrespectful. He should have taken the time to get the money ready beforehand, not make me follow him around for 10 minutes looking for an ATM. I had a bus to catch and nearly ended up missing it.

Then the next time we were to meet, I had to go up to Swords for a class at his house. Now, I made it clear in my ad that I was based on the south side, but I agreed to go up to the north side, as I'd already started classes with this guy. He doesn't live that close to a bus stop so he was to pick me up and drive to his house (4-5 mins away). So I went to his house, did the lesson and afterwards he paid me 10 euro less than my rate. I reminded him of the rate and he said he was paying less because he had to go and get me in the car, and we didn't get a full class because he had to show me how to get to his house in future (HIS decision - I was there 15 mins early!) I was totally raging but he really couldn't seem to understand what my problem was. I told him he was a stingy f*cker basically - I didn't charge him extra to go out to Swords for his convenience, and he offered to pick me up from the bus stop! To me a price is a price, if you think it's too much then teach yourself or find another teacher. Don't take the class and then rip me off!! I had to leave the house at 9.30 in the morning, and got back at 2pm, all for 20 euro! The guy seemed to have no respect and seemed to think he was doing me a favour by giving me any money at all! I go out to Shankill once a week to give Spanish grinds and the girl there always thanks me for coming out as she knows it's a long way, she makes me feel like I'm doing HER the favour, not the other way around!

Is this a cultural thing or have I just met a couple of a*sholes here? Why do these people feel like they're doing me a favour for paying me for a service? If they feel that it's too expensive (the price is very, very reasonable considering I have a degree, TEFL cert and 3 years experience) then why do they take the class? Do they not realise that bartering is not acceptable? Do they not realise that private English teachers don't work for minimum wage? They wouldn't go into a supermarket, pick up something for 20 euro and give the cashier 10 euro, so I'm perplexed as to why they think it's acceptable to do it to me.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cash in advance FTW

You met a couple of idiots.
    Only do classes in your area and/or on your terms. Don't put yourself out and whatever you do, don't underprice yourself.

In advance? Really? I haven't even thought about it before because the rest of my students have been honest. We finished the class, they handed me the cash and that was that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If they're honest it makes no odds to them when they give you the money, if they're chancers, you find out early on.

Well I won't be taking this idiot back. I'm sure he'll be annoyed as he bought the book I'm using and all, but I'm not being taken for a fecking idiot! I just can't believe the lack of respect, the cheeky fcker thinking he can decide how much he feels like giving me, as if I'm a beggar on the street or something?! I suppose I should be more careful, but it's pretty awkward asking for money up front. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Get them to pay in advance - either per class or per term, if you organise your classes in that way. Bear in mind that they'd be paying upfront if they were taking a class within an institution - there's no reason you shouldn't do something similar. Be firm and confident when dealing with your students - you're providing a service and while doing it on a private basis means that you can allow a bit of flexibility, make sure you're not being taken advantage of. [ETA: if you find it awkward, just do a sort of 'this is how I run things' speech at first, set down some rules about things like cancelling classes, how much work you expect them to do between classes, and get the money off them at that point - get all the sort of admin stuff over and done with.]

That guy sounds like a total a-hole btw. Not worth it. Also I'd consider upping those rates - for one-on-one classes it's absurdly reasonable in this madly overpriced society of ours. :)

• Advertisement

What would you say was reasonable? I charge 20 euro an hour but a lot of students say they can't afford 30 euro for 1.5 hours, so I often do an hour and a half for 25 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

I would have thought at least 25-30 per hour? Mind you my background is in creative writing rather than EFL... but I know that friends of mine doing, say, music stuff one-on-one would be charging something along those lines, as people would for one-on-one grinds.

The thing is, I've never met anyone willing to pay that much for English classes. I usually ask for 25 an hour for Spanish grinds, as again I'm usually told 30 is too much. I personally think I should be paid 30, as I have an excellent knowledge of Spanish, have lived there, have a degree and all that, but I'd rather take 20-25 than lose out on a student. I suppose it's all about demand. I've done classes for 12 euro an hour when I really needed the cash, and the student still moaned! I feel so underappreciated sometimes. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I wonder is it a fact that these people who are learning English are coming from economies where things are a helluva lot cheaper?

That still doesn't excuse bad manners or lack of respect, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,439 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

wouldn't step outside the door for tuition for less than 40 an hour (more like hour and 15 mins). Not worth my while otherwise to be honest.

• Advertisement

How do you find students who'll pay that kind of money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭madziuda

[quote=[Deleted User];57027180]IIs this a cultural thing or have I just met a couple of a*sholes here? [/quote]

No, it's not a cultural thing at all - the guy was an idiot, simple as, his nationality had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I don't think that situations like that stem from the fact that EFL students come from economies where things are a lot cheaper. Private English classes in Poland are a costly business as well. Taking into account the difference in the cost of living between Poland and Ireland the cost of an hour-long private English lesson in Poland would be roughly the same as here.

OP, the best solution is, as some posters have already suggested, to have a "how I run things speech" speech during your first lesson and ask to be paid up-front for classes. Also, if you have to drive/travel to the client's house the price should be higher - it does, after all, take much more time than a normal - agreed upon - lesson. You could be spending this time teaching another student and earning more money.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

EFL is usually around €20 an hour, I've always taken two similar students together and charged them €15 each. Money first, it's not a charity case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Blancanieves_82

[quote=[Deleted User];57027180]Is this a cultural thing or have I just met a couple of a*sholes here? .[/QUOTE]

I agree with Madziuda, it is not a cultural thing. I assure you, not all the Polish people are such idiots as this guy:)
    I hope you will never come across this type of behaviour.
    As for being treated like a beggar, I had a student once, back in Poland. He was 7 years old and believe me, he was the most unkind and unfriendly kid I have ever met. His parets were very rich so he treated my as if I was lucky to be working for them. He kept saying things like 'You CAN'T give me this homework, it's not important and I will not do it anyway' or 'Here's the money, I think you have been waiting for it, haven't you?'. Can you believe it? This brat was 7!!!
    I got rid of him asap. Good that you did the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Did this many many moons ago and to me private classes should always be considered a premium whatever they are and a problem student is dumped immediately. They should always be a pleasure and something to be looked forward to. Nothing worse than an hour with a solitary obnoxious student.

Considering trainers in other areas get upwards of €800 a day and DOE rates are €35/€40 or so an hour (someone can probably correct me here), €40 an hour is really not an unfair price considering your expertise. Not knocking anyone who is getting decent students at lower rates because ultimately you value yourself as you see fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭peewee18988

Excellent thread guys!

I Have been giving grinds around my area since I finished my BSc and I love it. I teach maths and there is always an abundance of calls to the house asking for grinds (great for payin the mortgage). I plan all my lessons in school anyway for JC and LC so there is no work to do for these extra classes.

With a new student, I meet the kid and the parent to talk about the course and suss out the situation. If I'happy, I will give them a page with my prices and available times. I do lessons in blocks of ten and the parents pay 300 up front. If there is a money problem i would not accept the class.

I do all the grinds in my own house in a study and it's well known around my estate that the lads get good results. If ya get a few local students and keep them to LC, ya will get a good name.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 12,439 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

[quote=[Deleted User];57032811]How do you find students who'll pay that kind of money?[/QUOTE]

Most think its cheap to be honest. I'm not a charity so they can go find someone else if they want, phone is still hopping so obviously working.

Advertisement