Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking and UCC

Options
  • 25-08-2008 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Which is the most convenient bank to UCC students? And which bank offers the best student incentive? How soon should I set up a bank account, and do I have to travel to Cork to do that? I live in dublin. Thanks.

Any other tips would be gratefully accepted :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

there's a bank of ireland on campus in the student centre. it's got fantastic opening hours and is very student friendly.
    I've been using the branch for years, find it excellent.

there'a an AIB and Ulster bank just off campus too, don't know much about them.

you'll have to open an account in person, but it won't take long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Do it during freshers week, all the banks will have people on the way to college trying to get you to open an account with them

Just open accounts with all of them, you get loads of free stuff, then decide what one to use permanantly when you see which one you like most

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭One-Day-Juande

Ha I remember doing that, I felt like such a fool opening up a bank a/c all for the sake of a lollipop, a cup a soup, a mars bar, some condoms and a fistful of flyers.

It was even funnier a couple of years later getting the letter saying that the a/c was being closed down and my debt from atm card tax was being cancelled, wonder if i'd have any problems opening a new a/c with them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Schoolteacher

How can opening hours be fantastic? You mean they are open at night?
    deRanged wrote: »
    there's a bank of ireland on campus in the student centre. it's got fantastic opening hours and is very student friendly.
    I've been using the branch for years, find it excellent.

there'a an AIB and Ulster bank just off campus too, don't know much about them.

you'll have to open an account in person, but it won't take long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Opening bank a/c's during Fresher's Week is fun. Got the student travel card from AIB (actual card was free, only had to pay E3 for the photo) Saved me a lot of money commuting! Then I completely forgot about that a/c and never activated the ATM card they gave me. Must remember to shut that down.

Also opened Ulster a/c - again, never used it and must shut it down.

Best to stick with BOI - branch on campus is very handy and I've never had any trouble with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

How can opening hours be fantastic?

standard bank opening hours are 10am to 4pm. useless if you've a job.

they open 08:30 to 18:00 (I think) and a half day on saturdays. that's fantastic for a bank in this country.

Advertisement