Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of Drogheda

Options
  • 25-08-2008 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Im only 21, and I feel like an oul fella because of the way I have to describe things in Drogheda. All these gangs are ruining the place. A colleague of mine brought his 3 year old son to mcdonalds there friday evening and there was a brawl in it between shamrock rovers fans and drog united fans. Is anyone else sick of the state of the town. My grandparents come up from kerry and I wont let them walk across the town even during the day, Its like the height of scum. Id feel safer walking through Dorset Street in Dublin at night time wearing an england soccer jersey then west street in drogheda

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

i was out in drog friday and it was fine!
    mind you i was in the one place. there are scumbags everywhere though, dont think its just drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

its got really bad in drog though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Its the same in Dundalk.

The amount of scum that support Dundalk F.C. is unreal and it would be the same with Rovers and Drogs.

In the past 3 months i've been in Drogheda during the day about 6 or 7 times and never seen anything bad going on but last time I was there some scumbag came up to me trying to sell me a gold chain, he said something but didnt heard him because I was listening to my mp3.

Sure my Dads car was set alight a few weeks ago in our drive way.

Though come the 22nd of Sep im out of here, back to college :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 harobed

ive never had a bad experience walking across the town in the day, i think its a bit extreme to say you wouldnt let your grand parents walk through the town.
    However, I am beginning to change my mind since my neighbours car stereo was stolen on Sunday night from the car, there was no window smashed or anything just a clean break in. Has anyone else reported similar problems lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

where abouts was this that it happened harrobed?

• Advertisement

I dont necessarilly live in fear, but id love to round up these scumbags and shoot the lot of em, shoot them in their feet nd let em bleed to death, they are scum of the earth and add nothing to society. give the cops guns, shoot the cnuts

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    I dont necessarilly live in fear, but id love to round up these scumbags and shoot the lot of em, shoot them in their feet nd let em bleed to death, they are scum of the earth and add nothing to society. give the cops guns, shoot the cnuts

Advocating viloence isn't permitted here.

what ya mean?

Meadow View

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Im only 21, and I feel like an oul fella because of the way I have to describe things in Drogheda. All these gangs are ruining the place. A colleague of mine brought his 3 year old son to mcdonalds there friday evening and there was a brawl in it between shamrock rovers fans and drog united fans. Is anyone else sick of the state of the town. My grandparents come up from kerry and I wont let them walk across the town even during the day, Its like the height of scum. Id feel safer walking through Dorset Street in Dublin at night time wearing an england soccer jersey then west street in drogheda

Don't want to belittle how you're feeling mate, but you need to go live somewhere else for a while. I've been in Drogheda for 4 years being a born and bred dub and it's no different from any area of Dublin city or suburb. In fact considering the number of bars/clubs I'd say it's doing well. Any incident involving Shamrock Rovers supporters is no reflection on the area it happens in and should only reflect on Shamrock Rovers and their supporters. (I am not a major fan of any soccer club). I constantly hear Drogheda people running the town down about how violent etc it is, and yet I never see it. It's the same as any other town in the country.

• Advertisement

All my family are from Killarney in Kerry and Carrigaline in Cork. The pride that young people have in these towns is unreal. From littering to violence. Awh twasnt just rovers fans, theres these groups of young lads goin round that are ruining it for evryone. Theyll go to football games and shout crap like Drawda till I die, yet they destroy the town and beet up lil kids. If the gards dont sort em, then people will. Youve been here for the last 4 years. fair enough, most of these kids are 14-17, now when I was 15 there was none of this crap, that was only 6 years ago like

I'm 20, been living here my whole life (in Rathmullen, of all places) and I must say, I totally agree with ssmith6287.

I know its easier to say "Drogheda sucks, anywhere else would be better" only to go there and realise its worse. I do see that point. However, I dont think anywhere should have this kinda reputation.

I put it down to one thing: Lack of law enforcement. I've said it before and I'll say it again, The Gardai have got to be the least effective authority group in the world.

Even in relation to what Harobed said; Why wouldn't people break into a car and steal a stereo? Whats the risk? Really? Jail? Hefty fine? Or a "Come on lads, don't be at that kinda stuff!"?

The latter seems to be the popular choice.

I wouldn mind, Id walk through Rathmullen anytime of the day and there wouldn be a problem, I cud walk through Moneymore anytime of the day thered b no probs. No offence but ya know yerself these are supposedly the trouble spots. Its the little scums from the housing estates in and around these, I know its been discussed before but I believe the influx of Dubs has a bit to do with it, based purely on the fact that 10 years ago, yeah twas rough spot at night time but during the day, ye cud leave yer car running while ye run into a shop, cant do that now. Im not saying im gonna do it (encouraging violence or watever the mod said) but vigalante will rule because the people will just snap

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Its the little scumbags alright. My bro was taken to hospital in an ambulance last saturday night after some tracksuited skanger accused him of looking at his bird. My bro said she was bet down and there was no way he was looking at her, said he would rather pierce his eyes with a fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 goodfecker

yeah id have to agree with you all! the Guards are nowhere to be seen, if there not visible then the scumbags have nothing to fear!also when your lying in bed and you hear the boy racers tearing up and down the streets with their noise box's they sound more like old tractors! where are the fecking Guards (drinking tea) if the Guards wanted to catch them they could and if they wanted to make any town feel safe they could?
    its all down to politics and the stupid c*nts that run this backward, up to its neck in debt, jobless heading country of our's

the only people how fear the courts and the law is the very people it was set up to keep in check and that is us! law bidding hard working people! there is no free legal aid for us lads and no (he didnt know he was raping her because he was on drugs your honour)remember the woman in co. Clare and then the judge let the scumbag travel with her back to clare on the same fecking train!!!!!!
    its hard to belive that that could happen but thats our justice system its there to protect scumbags! if its not their to protect scumbags then the justice system should start proving it to us....

Really dont think its anywhere as bad as people are making out. And for the lad who said he wouldnt let his grandparents walk through town during the day get a grip. There are good and bad everywhere and Drogheda is no worse than most towns. A couple of isolated incidents and you would swear we are living in Baghdad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 streamsofpiss

Agree with the above. There are good and not so good people everywhere. I've never had any problems walking across West Street during the day and I walk it most days of the week. Get real. As for being able to run into a shop and leaving the keys in the car 10 years ago thats absolute bollocks. 40 years ago maybe. There were always little c*nts around. There are far more 'serious incidents' in other parts of the country. Drogheda wouldn't be anywhere near the top of that list. There is a lot of good work being done in some of the 'problem areas' in Drogheda but you can't win 'em all.

Drogheda folks are up there with the friendliest people in this country in my opinion.

maybe someone should start up a business on west street selling protective clothing and head gear, weapons etc... if its that bad!

Advertisement