Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landslides and our precipitation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

Well, the weather patterns of late are certainly extraordinary. However, it's alleged (but is as-yet unproven) that the slide was precipitated by construction works at a local wind farm site at Ballincollig Hill. Given the history of the planning process there and the repeated concerns voiced by the locals, I believe this allegation will be borne out. It's certainly expedient for Kerry CoCo, who gave the green light to the project, to blame the rain.

Onshore wind farms are currently being touted as a partial solution to achieving our CO2 emissions goals. Isn't it ironic then, that a wind farm should bring about the kind of environmental disaster it was designed to avoid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

TBH, i took the local's view of the matter with a huge pinch of salt.
    I don't know the science behind it all, but i imagine a logical connection between landslides and the amount of water the soil is trying to absorb. I can imagine water permeating thru the soil to the rock beneath, and becoming a lubricant.
    Exactly like those melt water rivers in glaciers.
    It seems hugely coincidental that the landslide occured at the precise time we are experiencing so much rainfall.

Ah, interesting article right here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_of_landslides#Triggers_of_landslides

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It was on the RTE news tonight and it is clear to see that the road is right beside the landslide and that the whole area looks like it has been churned up by construction machinery, so I don't think it is coincidence.

Often local people in rural areas have a very good knowledge of the area and it's geography going back a very long time and this knowledge is unfortunately often ignored by engineers.

It is highly ironic that wind power, the golden boy of the green party, ends up doing so much damage to the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

remember seeing a lecture from onof the guys in the irish landslides working group really interseting they were developing aerial photography to map high risk areas

linky
    http://www.gsi.ie/Programmes/Quaternary+Geotechnical/Landslides/Irish+Landslides+Working+Group.htm

in fact heres their report
    http://www.gsi.ie/NR/rdonlyres/7537BF7E-E533-4686-8468-4CD287B14A98/0/Landslides_in_Ireland.pdf

dont forget the fracture point at derrybrien in 2003 ? was tied back to windfarm construction

btw if you read the report it says that bog slides are not uncommon events in ireland

Advertisement