Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping with dogs.

Options
  • 25-08-2008 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi all,

New to this section so hope this hasnt been asked 1000's of times already.

Im hoping to get a camping trip together, just for weekend to start (Sat & Sun).
    Im not familar with camping in the Wicklow mountains. I have read some threads here and printed off the maps. And am reading the WNP website at the moment.

The main thing is, i was interested in bringing my two dogs with me.
    Does anyone have any experiecnce with this? Is it permitted? Is it just to much hassle?

As i said, i would just be looking to arrive on a Sat, do some walks, camp for the night and head off on the Sunday.

Any advice would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Good question...
    Out of interest, dogs in the tent or outside it? :)

I've certainly seen people take their dogs on walks in the national park lots of times, so from that perspective, I'd imagine it'd be ok to camp with them, as long as you made sure they couldn't run off, or annoy people or other animals (not to state the obvious).
    Don't know the official slant on it though, might be an idea to give the rangers a call and ask what the story is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Yeah thats a good idea, i'll dig out their number.

Is it easy enough to walk for a few hours on one of the tracks and then veer off and find a good quiet spot for camping where we wouldnt be disturbed??.

Oh and i think dogs tied up outside the tent...far to much smell and noise me thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

We camp a lot in Wicklow, and by the letter of the law, no one should be camping outside of campsites unless you are trekking:
    http://www.wicklownationalpark.ie/pages/wildcamping.php, and you SHOULD not be lighting fires.

That said all the rangers we have met are decent and accommodating. As long as your fire is not in the middle of a dry deadwood forest they usually leave you alone. My advice would be to camp in remote areas, or you run the risk of gangs of people showing up in cars to drink and play music.

Regarding your dogs, I can imagine they will be a pain in the ass to control in the middle of the woods? As fergalr suggested as long as they don’t bother anyone walking/camping, or start hunting deer.....then you should be fine!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Thanks for the reply jusmeig...

Ideally we would love to camp away from sites and gangs of people. Somewhere remote would suit me down to the ground...I could get by without lighting fires to be honest, but if i did need to light one, it would be sensible, and done properly.

I have read that site and its very helpful.
    I'd say we might try a few times without the dogs, but i would love to bring them along at some stage. They wouldnt be allowed off leads at any time. Not for the first few times at least anyway.

Advertisement