Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small word of warning

Options
  • 25-08-2008 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

For this time of year.....PLEASE put wasp traps up high in your garden to keep wasps away from your dogs.

I didn't have any wasp traps in my garden and my girl was stung on Friday and had the most extreme reaction. Her face swelled to four times it's normal size and her eyes folded in on themselves and she was in a terrible state :(

Thankfully I rushed her to the vet and she got a steroid injection and an antihistamine tablet and within an hour it had started to go down and she was back to herself the following morning but it can be very dangerous for them if their throats swell up and thei airway gets blocked.

So just to let ye know the wasps are dying this time of year and esp young dogs are curious and will bite and paw them so try to keep them out of your doggie's reach!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Like humans it can be very serious for some dogs and not so serious for others.

We had a corgi who was mad into chasing wasps and snapping at them despite us repeatedly telling her not to. She got herself stung at least once every summer!!

Our boxer got stung once just over her eye...she really looked like a fighting boxer then!!

She was fine tho!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cheeky Munky

~Thalia~ wrote: »
    For this time of year.....PLEASE put wasp traps up high in your garden to keep wasps away from your dogs.

I didn't have any wasp traps in my garden and my girl was stung on Friday and had the most extreme reaction. Her face swelled to four times it's normal size and her eyes folded in on themselves and she was in a terrible state :(

Thankfully I rushed her to the vet and she got a steroid injection and an antihistamine tablet and within an hour it had started to go down and she was back to herself the following morning but it can be very dangerous for them if their throats swell up and thei airway gets blocked.

So just to let ye know the wasps are dying this time of year and esp young dogs are curious and will bite and paw them so try to keep them out of your doggie's reach!

I had a similar experience last summer, we had a nest in the garden and our puppy decided chasing the wasps was a fun new game. We thought we were going to loose him because of an allergic readction to the sting but thankfully we got him to the vet within 30 min and he was ok. Funnily enough he doesnt chase them anymore............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I hope your dog is all better now and thanks for the warning I give out to mine and pull them away every time I catch them near them but they'll still try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

After 13 years of having dogs we had our first wasp sting on Thursday evening, my mum came home from the shop, having left the doggies alone for twenty minutes and there was the little ruby cav with a large lump io nher eye.

Needless to say my mum had a bit of a panic and obviously rushed her down to the Vet. The vet informed us that it was a simple case of "cherry eye", meaning her third eye lid had popped out and the only thing for it was an operation on Friday morning. My mum brought her home for cuddles and such that evening before her routine operation.

Next morning my mum got up to bring her down to the Vets for the op and the doggy was sitting up in her basket, waggiing her tail and the lump had magically disappeared.

Mother shook her head and headed down to teh Vet with the doggy and the Vet laughed and said "Well it seems she won't be chasing wasps again anytime soon" So no operation needed and the dog runs off with her tail between her legs when a wasp comes near her now.

Still have the lab and the other cav chasing them, we have the traps up now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

My pup (6 mth old border collie mix) went into the duck pond today and found a wasps nest in the long grass. Needless to say the wasps went for her ... she was stung by about 12 wasps ... they stuck to her fur. I plucked the wasps off but the poor wee thing ... she was in agony. I got very worried when she got very weak and wouldn't walk - I rang the vet on call who saw her and gave her anti-histamine shot. Thankfully now she's fine - but please dog owners be careful of wasps

• Advertisement
Advertisement