Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shamans ?

Options
  • 24-08-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

So a shaman is not a clever trickster who manipulates the fears, superstitions and ignorance of those in his thrall in order to maintain his esteemed position in the hierarchy in society? And shamans were not the ones who, in collusion with the kleptocratic leaders, would invariably declare those very leaders to be divine beings, and therefore above reproach and beyond the reach of mere mortals who could never depose them for fear of eternal damnation?

Sounds like a cushy number, doesn't it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So do you have sources and references for this or is just personal speculation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Thaedydal wrote: »
    So do you have sources and references for this or is just personal speculation ?

Well, yes I do have some experience. I've met a couple in Peru at ayahuasca ceremonies. Now, I can accept that some of them are genuine in their beliefs but as I've noticed, and many Peruvians confirm, many of them are shysters, offering false and dangerously misleading hope to the sick, lies to the bereaved, false hope to the worried and desperate etc, etc. Of course, none of these services are free. A fee is charged for every service from divination to curing. And we're not talking about a block of cheese or a chicken here; hard cash, which is difficult for poor people to come by and badly needed to feed impoverished families. Small wonder these shamans are living in a relatively higher standard of living than their adherents and neighbours.

It's also been well documented by many anthropolisists that the shaman has traditionally been used a means of controling lower ranking people by tribal leaders. They have always been closer to the tribal leaders that to the 'people'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

anti-venom wrote: »
    It's also been well documented by many anthropolisists that the shaman has traditionally been used a means of controling lower ranking people by tribal leaders. They have always been closer to the tribal leaders that to the 'people'.

What of cultures that have Shamans but where the Shaman is of low status; like in Korea?

Advertisement