Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generation Kill - Bomb in the Garden

Options
  • 24-08-2008 6:54pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Having reached Baghdad, Bravo Team is shocked at the size of the city; while First Recon begin doing their daily patrols in Baghdad, they find out the obstacles that they and the Iraqis face is much greater than they could ever think of.

Last one

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Superb ending to a pretty much superb series. I only realised just how well they had pitched the characters when I knew who would watch the video and who would leave (also the music over it made me remember how 'The Wire' only uses music like that in its finale too).

Great character moments all round - Nate resigned to never climbing the chain of command because he refuses to take stupid orders, Ray finally running out of wise remarks and cracking under the pressure, Captain America desperately trying to convince himself of the sense of his actions, Encino Man on top of his stupid world in the football game, Godfather explaining how people like Captain America survive in the army, and so forth.

Could go on for a while but will stop it for now - great series, shame to see it end, and David Simon and Ed Burns are the Gods of TV writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

ixoy wrote: »
    Superb ending to a pretty much superb series. I only realised just how well they had pitched the characters when I knew who would watch the video and who would leave (also the music over it made me remember how 'The Wire' only uses music like that in its finale too).

Great character moments all round - Nate resigned to never climbing the chain of command because he refuses to take stupid orders, Ray finally running out of wise remarks and cracking under the pressure, Captain America desperately trying to convince himself of the sense of his actions, Encino Man on top of his stupid world in the football game, Godfather explaining how people like Captain America survive in the army, and so forth.

Could go on for a while but will stop it for now - great series, shame to see it end, and David Simon and Ed Burns are the Gods of TV writing.
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Alpha's CO punching Encino Man. **** yea.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Yep, great finish to a great mini-series. Thought they would go down the well-trodden path and kill off a character for dramatic/emotional effect, but this was much more satisfying.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thought they would go down the well-trodden path and kill off a character for dramatic/emotional effect, but this was much more satisfying.
    Well they can't really kill people off who are still alive - I mean it's based on real people and I'd be a bit miffed if I was shot dead in it and was still wandering around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

Excellent series and very well cast.

Shows this well done are few and far between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Yep, great finish to a great mini-series. Thought they would go down the well-trodden path and kill off a character for dramatic/emotional effect, but this was much more satisfying.
    Yes! I was half afraid the reporter would get shot or something ****ing retarded like that. I'm sure the execs thought it would be a good idea but they'd have a hard time talking David Simon and Ed Burns down!

I was in Dublin a couple of days ago looking for the book and nowhere had it. (want to get it before they start showing the series here and all the book covers get turned into tv book covers heh. Hate that ****)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I'd probably get Nate Fick's book before Evan Wright's one though. I have no doubt that Nate has a story and a half to unleash.

Depressed to see this show end. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Such a shame it's over. Anyone know if Simon and Burns are working on anything new?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭the1andonly1

I think David Simon is working on a show about the music scene in New Orleans, post katrina. A pilot has been commissioned, but no idea if it will be picked up or not... Turns out a lot of the cast from the wire are lined up for parts...should be good

http://reelfanatic.blogspot.com/2008/08/david-simons-treme-will-be-wire-family.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Just watched this last night, its really its a shame its over, you don't get something this good to often.
    I don't normally read non-fiction, but might give Nate and Evans books a read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Of course I agree with everyone above. Brilliant show.
    I'd probably get Nate Fick's book before Evan Wright's one though. I have no doubt that Nate has a story and a half to unleash.

Depressed to see this show end. :(

Thanks Rolo Tamasi. I was going to pick up Generation Kill, but decided to get this instead. Just bought the last one at TheBookDepository.co.uk. You can get it on Play.com for €8.49.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭OpenEnded

ixoy wrote: »

really was an excellent end to the series

Advertisement