Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled Spaces in Undergound Apartment Carpark

Options
  • 24-08-2008 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the story is with cars without disabled permits using such spaces in underground apartment complexes?

I challenged someone on repeated use of the space and was told that basically anyone was entitled to use the space as it was private property and no one needed the space at the moment. I have noticed that the external spaces to the complex warn people about parking in these spaces, but the underground car park does not.

Are my 'neighbours' correct that they can park there if the space is not assigned to a disabled resident, as otherwise the space is unused? My understanding was that they could be used if you had a visitor, but the flip side of this is that these visitors are not residents and so should not be using the car park (of course those using it are probably people with one permitted space but two cars to park).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

You really need to ask your management company about this, particularly if you have a carpark management company hired to clamp unauthorised cars. If there's nobody living in the complex who NEEDS a disabled space, then I can't imagine there'd be an issue, but it's also probably not a good idea to rely on it being available

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

By what definition are they determining need? What of someone on crutches? What of a long stay visitor. What of people with reduced mobility - age, children, luggage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

The same definition as in a public space, i.e. the display of a disabled person's parking permit. The car's parking there do not display such a permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭markpb

Does anyone know what the story is with cars without disabled permits using such spaces in underground apartment complexes?

Like Igy said, it's private parking so the road traffic act doesn't apply, the Gardai have authority and the city clampers won't enter the property. Most private clamping firms will enforce them though unless the management company instructs them otherwise (which would be pretty weird.)

Advertisement