Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad/repetitive songs on the Radio

Options
  • 23-08-2008 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Like me you probably listen to the radio in work all day whether it be in an office, building site, shop whatever and its always the same station all day with the same boring music.

I have gone through loads of stations myself and the best from the bunch is today fm and rte 2 fm with the worst being 98fm without doubt.

Regardless of the station though I've noticed that you'll have the same song on every day and every hour and sometimes every half hour which would drive you crazy. Even if you liked half them the joy soon goes once its played 6 or 7 times a day over a working day of 7 - 9 hours.

I know i'm not the only one out there going crazy as my mates in work cant stand it either and it really doesnt matter what station you change to their all the same. I ended up leaving my last job after 9 months for the sole reason they would not change the 20 track cd they had on repeat every day!!

One problem I might have that many dont is I dont really like most modern pop music all that much. I prefer my 80's pop, some 90's, rock music and alternative but seen as 90% of music played is modern pop I end up covering my ears half the day.

Is anyone else going crazy? :eek::confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,840 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just be glad you're not listening to Atlantic 252 anymore! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I have to endure Today FM every day, and a test of endurance is what it really is. With the exception of 30 mins of the Last Word, its the same crap over and over. I know I'm guaranteed to hear that rapage of Sweet Home Alabama by Kid Rock 3 times, the lipstick Lesbian Kary Perry 3 times and Winehouse twice. I think I'll need therapy by the time I finish this job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

basquille wrote: »
    Just be glad you're not listening to Atlantic 252 anymore! :D

atlantic 252 had a 10 song play list for each summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

the lipstick Lesbian Kary Perry 3 times
    Have the stations not placed a limit on how often that particular song may be played?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not sure if there is a limit, but you'd very often hear a song 4 times a day on TodayFM - Dempsey, D'arcy, Foley and Fenton.

As for songs that drive me nuts, I'd have to say Fred's song (not sure what its called), Madonna's dirge, Galway Girl, and The Verve's Love Is Noise all have me reaching for my headphones to drown out the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Don't forget the horrible tones of Noah and the Whale five times,Rihanna four times and the worst person to ever act in a music video Katie"People who drive Honda Civics like me coz I give them shammy boners and make out that I am a Lesbian" Perry.

Btw what the **** is in the background for Love Is Noise.It sounds like a strangled swan.

Wow I'm angry.:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It doesn't bother me much now, but when I used to work in a shop it would drive me cuckoo, you'd have the same 10/12 songs on a loop all morning, and then you'd have to put up with the same news stories every 30 minutes...

Radio stations should introduce distinct shows throughout the day. At the moment all day the presenters may be different but the music & content is essentially the same...

It sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I prefer a mix of songs usually want you find on evening shows, but Sunday is horrible for me. Normally I work all day Sunday, so I'd start my day off with the Sunday Business Post, then the Sunday Supplement, then normally the radio gets turned off until about 7pm, but I don't have any mp3's to listen to today :( So I've been switching around channels, there's really nothing on, i102-104 has nothing but R'n'B, todayfm and 2fm are more or less playing classics. Anyone got any recommendations, I wouldn't mind talk radio either, just stuff on at the moment isn't to my taste.

Actually I havn't heard the I kissed a girl song today, yet.... Friggen hate that kid rock song.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Virgin classic Rock radio for the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Btw what the **** is in the background for Love Is Noise.It sounds like a strangled swan.

Wow I'm angry.:eek::eek::eek:

I feel your pain... and btw I never knew the name of that song until last Tuesday. I call it the Gobble Gobble song because it sounds like a conveyor belt of turkeys being lead to the slaughter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭smoc

I think part of the problem is the radio dj's dont know or care about what the previous dj played half an hour previous so they'll play it twice during their turn and then its repeated by the next dj.

I HATE Amy Whinehouse!~!!!!!!!!! at least she has a suitable name. The woman is a junkie who should be in jail and who cant sing for **** and needs other people to write her songs which are also ****e! how can anyone like her??? Its bemusing to me. I wish the stations would play more proper music like Muse, Pink floyd, Yes, Radiohead, Biffy Clyro, MJ, Prince, etc etc. They are all great artists with quality music that would still appeal to a large audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

smoc wrote: »
    I wish the stations would play more proper music like Muse, Pink floyd, Yes, Radiohead, Biffy Clyro, MJ, Prince, etc etc. They are all great artists with quality music that would still appeal to a large audience.

They do, you're obviously not listening to the right station!

I think you're tarring a lot of stations with the same brush.

What you describe can only happen on a station where DJs are allowed pick their own songs...

Any station with a playlist structure in place does not suffer from the above. Yes you'll still get the hot As coming up a lot... (generally no less than once every four hours though) but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,173 ✭✭✭✭L1011

MarkN wrote: »
    They do, you're obviously not listening to the right station!

I think you're tarring a lot of stations with the same brush.

What you describe can only happen on a station where DJs are allowed pick their own songs...

Any station with a playlist structure in place does not suffer from the above. Yes you'll still get the hot As coming up a lot... (generally no less than once every four hours though) but that's it.

Stations with a playlist structure suffer from having a virtually identical 4 hour block of music played 6 times a day for two weeks. Have you ever had the hell of living in the UK? ILR there is unlistenable due to being playlisted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Two summers ago I nearly had a breakdown due to being forced to listen to Nelly Furtado's 'Maneater' and Shakira's 'Hips Don't Lie' 714 times a day. Each. Every time I hear the intro to 'Hips Don't Lie' I shudder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

That new Mary Coughlan song, it's brutal. I hate the Noah and the Whales song that's always on the radio too and is there anyone who actually likes that Kid Rock song?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

We have Today FM on all day here in work, and its gotten to the stage where i cant phisically listen to D'Arcy, or fenton, i could probably put up with foley, but not for long.
    I have now taken to listening to Gerry Ryan, and other talk shows on the headphones just so i dont have to listen to the ****e music or D'Arcy being a tool.
    As a result i feel old, listening to Newstalk.......and RTE 1.......:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Not sure of the name of the station but when i was in Brisbane there was a station that had the "no repeat work day".

Their accents and inane chatter would give an tramil a headache but no song was repeated between 9 and 5

Just a point to note about not listening to todayfm/2fm.. us non-Dublin residents dont have the same choice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

MYOB wrote: »
    Stations with a playlist structure suffer from having a virtually identical 4 hour block of music played 6 times a day for two weeks.

For a typical Hot AC/CHR station in Ireland that's just not true.

I'm not going to give away the crown jewels here but BCI timelines for stations I've mentioned make sure that anything older than 6 months would not be heard anymore frequently than 1 day and a few hours and that stretches to 10+ days for a song which would be considered 'gold' (quite a long time in your average Joe listening pattern).

I hear the same thing over and over on here from people.. "stations never play x, y, z"... you can't tar all stations like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,173 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oddly enough, I find it much the same for any station I've listened to; which is why I spent ~100 euros to get a DAB in the car to listen to RTÉ and Ivan Nolan's jukebox stations.

However, I'm thankful that radio here is NOWHERE near as bad as the tripe thats passed for commercial radio in the UK - with the BBC barely providing an alternative in many cases. Mass networking, automation from 6pm, etc.

Mackman wrote: »
    We have Today FM on all day here in work, and its gotten to the stage where i cant phisically listen to D'Arcy, or fenton, i could probably put up with foley, but not for long.
    I have now taken to listening to Gerry Ryan, and other talk shows on the headphones just so i dont have to listen to the ****e music or D'Arcy being a tool.
    As a result i feel old, listening to Newstalk.......and RTE 1.......:o

Yes! OMG Fenton the big fecking gob****e with no music sense at all!! The guy has the worst taste in music. Bored me to death today and I cant change the station because the whole office listens to it. D'Arcy is ok I think because he'll play some things you dont often hear and Foley loves the foo fighters so at least for that.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to give away the crown jewels here but BCI timelines for stations I've mentioned make sure that anything older than 6 months would not be heard anymore frequently than 1 day and a few hours and that stretches to 10+ days for a song which would be considered 'gold' (quite a long time in your average Joe listening pattern).

I hear the same thing over and over on here from people.. "stations never play x, y, z"... you can't tar all stations like that.

please someone name a satation that is not monotonous so we can all listen to it because I simply dont believe one exsists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I have bought more albums/CDs over the years as a direct result from listening to BBC Radio 2 and being introduced to new stuff, from pop bands, to jazz, to soul, to ska, to reggae, to whatever & beyond.

Advertisement