Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Didn't get first choice in Masters need advice

Options
  • 23-08-2008 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Ok so I'll try to keep this brief even though I feel very strongly about it! Just completed a Masters in Geography and awaiting the results. The extern's currently looking over the thesis. Applied to do a Masters in planning in UCD. Applied last year but results weren't up to standard and competition for places was really high. So, did a Masters this year in Geography, part of which was a minor thesis on a subject of our choice (within reason!), so chose the planning area to research. Also did work experience with a planning consultancy to make doubly sure a Masters in planning was what I wanted to do. I was fairly confident that I would be offered a place on the UCD, even a conditional one, as I expect my Masters mark will be on the high side given the amount of work I put in to it this year (10-12 hour days, 4-5 days a week) but I didn't. Got an EMAIL from them (very professional) last week saying the usual stuff:" "high demand for places", "small number of places may become available", "high calibre of applications". What bugs me is there will be people coming straight from a BA into the planning course, and I was turned down, with a Masters under my belt! What I want to know is do I have any comeback from this? I've heard of times where if an applicant kicks up enough fuss something is done about it! :confused:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It probably depends on exactly how they're considering applications - I presume the masters in planning is a taught masters? If so, it might be the case that they've applied a particular weight to someone's final year mark and no particular consideration of the masters will be taken. Be warned, some places aren't too fond of what they call 'canvassing'. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

There is a high demand for the planning course. It is probably the most difficult masters to get a place on in UCD. It is true that there is only a limited number of places, very high calibre applicants etc... All that is required for nearly every other masters is a pulse, ten grand, and a 2.1 in or around the area. I hear that you need a 1.1 in the geography MA to make the short list - they have turned down people with a 2.1 in their MA. I also hear that the geography MA in UCD has a pretty weak reputation... they'd probably prefer graduates in science, engineering, economics, architecture etc...

If you're still interested in going for it next year, start thinking about how you can improve your chances:

1. Actually go into the department and talk to the lecturers, ask them for advice on what subjects to pick, what to do
    2. Think about applying for another course that will in some way complement it (something like environmental economics etc...)
    3. Gain more experience next year if you can. It will improve your chance of acceptance even more.
    4. Remember that references are important - get a good one
    5. Lastly, consider the course in QUB which is only 1 year long but makes you eligible for the same professional qualification as a planner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

this is the first year that students have graduated from the 'Geography, Planning & Environmental Management' course which started in 05/06 and as a result a large chunk of the places for the MRUP course (20+ or so) have been reserved for these graduates if they meet the minimum criteria for acceptance while the number of places on the course on the whole is remaining static.

so in other words and already incredibly difficult course to get into has been made nearly impossible to get into unless you really are the cream of the crop.

on one hand i can understand that the school of GPEP would want to reserve places for their undergrad students that they have produced for 3 years but on the other hand i get a strong feeling that there will be some dopes making it onto the MRUP course at the expense of some talented candidates

i wouldnt lose too much sleep over not getting accepted. as was said competition for an increasingly limited number of places on this course is coming from high caliber students from architectural and engineering backgrounds. its also 2 years long and is frighteningly expensive. concentrate on gaining as much relevant experience as possible and look to Britain for similar courses.

Advertisement