Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Conway and Bad Signal

Options
  • 23-08-2008 2:22pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

i live in an apartment block and we are serviced by Sky Conway (Useless Company i might add). Over the last few weeks my sky box has been acting up, some channels show signal not being received, some are scrambled a bit when trying to watch them, the scrammbling appears then doesnt etc. Have spoke to them before about it and an engineer came out and tested the signal, apparently boosted it a bit and redid the cabeling. A load of bs in my mind cos the signal seemed to improve for a few days then went back to normal. He also said that it might be the box that apparently they are known to be a bit dodgey but they have this other model, a thompson box which i could pay to get installed and they have had no problems with those.

So my question is cos i dont know much about this area, is he talking crap about the boxes failing like this, and if they know this why even install them to begin with.
    Secondly i dont think i should be paying anything for this as their equipment is acting up,its not my fault.
    And finally, is there any point in me ringing sky directly since we have to use this useless company to get installed in the first place??

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Some very old boxes, e.g. Pace2500 can be developing trouble by now. Thomson are nothing special, but the Grundig. Another company bought the Grundig Brand and some non-satellite gear.

Unless you can test your receiver elsewhere or get a known good box, it's not easy to say if it is them our your box. Either is perfectly/equally possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

The only reason really for calling sky would be if two or more of your neighbours wanted to go to sky directly. http://www.skyinyourapartment.ie/

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I have a spare sky box, when i put the card into it and hooked it up though it said that the sky card wasnt for that box is there a way around this??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Axwell wrote: »
    I have a spare sky box, when i put the card into it and hooked it up though it said that the sky card wasnt for that box is there a way around this??

Ring sky to correct this

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However it will work on all but the premium channels (Sky Sports, Sky Movies etc).

• Advertisement
Advertisement