Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Card Renewal - Help Please!

Options
  • 23-08-2008 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Green Card Renewal Help Please!
    Hi,

My green card is expiring in about a year's time. I have been living outside the US since 2004 due to work related reason, but have been visiting US within the 6 month period. I have never been outside the US longer than 6 months, but my stay in the US has been about 2 to 3 weeks per year.

My spouse & children are US citizens and I have a green card. I do not have a house in US, i have sold it in 2004. But I do have all my financial accounts intact in US even after I left the country. I have been filing the US taxes regularly and been taking the foreign tax exclusion.

Please let me know if anyone of you have ever been in a similar situation. When I apply for the Greencard renewal, what would happen. once I apply for renewal, do I need to remain in the country till I get to hear about the outcome.

I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

You really need to talk to the INS about this. They won't haul you away for picking up the phone and calling them. Also check the website, http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=7e8d96981298d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=4f719c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

The only possible problem I see if that you have not maintained a legal resident status in the US, meaning being resident in the country for 6+months at a time. But that might not be an isssue and I am no expert.

Why didn't you file for citizenship? Become a citizen and this issues all go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 siri234

I have applied for citizenship in 2004 after we left the country. But has been rejected since we have sold our home prior to that & have been residing outside the country. The requirements for citizenship are more stringent that those for the GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

siri234 wrote: »
    Green Card Renewal Help Please!
    Hi,

My green card is expiring in about a year's time. I have been living outside the US since 2004 due to work related reason, but have been visiting US within the 6 month period. I have never been outside the US longer than 6 months, but my stay in the US has been about 2 to 3 weeks per year.

My spouse & children are US citizens and I have a green card. I do not have a house in US, i have sold it in 2004. But I do have all my financial accounts intact in US even after I left the country. I have been filing the US taxes regularly and been taking the foreign tax exclusion.

Please let me know if anyone of you have ever been in a similar situation. When I apply for the Greencard renewal, what would happen. once I apply for renewal, do I need to remain in the country till I get to hear about the outcome.

I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

The whole thing with holding on to a green card is that you have to convince the authorities that the US is your primary residence.

When you enter the US every so often what do you tell them at immigration, have they ever questioned you about your absence ?, they could have taken your GC at anytime on entry if they thought you were not maintaining the US are your primary residence.

If you can convince them every time you enter the US that you are a permanent resident then I'd imagine it may not be too hard to get the card renewed.

Do you know what the renewal process is, is it another interview or just a case of send in an application and getting it in the post ?. I'm sure there are websites to tell you that much

Advertisement