Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LandRover Discovery or Mercedes ML270

Options
  • 23-08-2008 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

I have come across a Land Rover Discovery and a Mercedes ML270 and I think I might buy one of them.
    They are silimar year-01.
    Similar price-give or take a few hundred.
    Similar mileage-90k approx.
    Similar engine size-2.7 diesel.

Insurance is similar. Tax is similar. Stats on each seem to be similar enough too.

I will be using it for mainly on road driving. But I will be doing occasional towing and going off the road the odd time too.

I must say that I am leaning towards the Land Rover but the old reliability issues are a slight put off.

Anyone driven or owned both?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

aw wrote: »
    I have come across a Land Rover Discovery and a Mercedes ML270 and I think I might buy one of them.
    They are silimar year-01.
    Similar price-give or take a few hundred.
    Similar mileage-90k approx.
    Similar engine size-2.7 diesel.

Insurance is similar. Tax is similar. Stats on each seem to be similar enough too.

I will be using it for mainly on road driving. But I will be doing occasional towing and going off the road the odd time too.

I must say that I am leaning towards the Land Rover but the old reliability issues are a slight put off.

Anyone driven or owned both?

I think if reliability is putting you off, do a search in the motors section, few lads saying the Ml 270's and troublesome.

The Discovery will have a 2.5 td5 engine, and more than likely you are going to buy manual. I've driven Discovery's and i've driven one ML 270(automatic) and i didn't like the feel of it. Engine was very loud, couldn't get the tip-tronic gearbox to select the gears as i wanted it to.

If your buying the Discovery i would reccomend a full service history, also that you buy seven seat and manual. All these will help it when you are selling it on again. The back two seats are generally for small kids (access through the boot door) and can fold up into the sides. More often then not the clutch can seem very heavy on the and the lock on the steering isn't worth talking about. As for reliability buy something with a full service history, bring a mechanic with you and everything should be alright. If you see one you are considering buying, post up a link to it and we can help you on the right price to pay etc. I'd also consider importing from England to get higher spec etc. Any little questions about them gimme a shout and i'll do my best to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ploughbynight

I own a 01 discovery and have had plenty of small bits and pieces go wrong, but I love the drive and the suspension on and off road. It just cant be beaten. I have put 160000 miles on mine. I bought it 1 year old and so far i have had problems with abs sensors (you have to rpelcae entire hub to extinguish the lights €800) lights dont bother me. Crank shaft pulley €750 and just replaced ACE hydraulic pipes €300.
    Not bad I suppose. A girl I know well has a ML270 and she has had nothing but trouble with it. Ranging from electrics to windscreen wipers and brakes. My brother inlaw has a 06 ML320 and he loves it. It is a lovely motor but he has had a few electrical prblems but were covered under warranty. When warranty is over it will be big money.

My advice is buy Japanese or better still buy my discovery!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lambdrover

You can get parts a lot cheaper for Land Rovers. The hub assembly with the ABS sensor would be 325+vat from us. ( I don't want to break the no adverts rule so won't post any more details but pm me if you want more info)

Land Rovers generally have a very big following and therefore have a huge network of fans offering help and info. This makes it easier and cheaper to keep them on the road in the long run. Main dealers in this country have an incredibly bad reputation compared to the UK.this isn't always fair though.

As for MErcedes I can't comment as I have no real experience of them but, I do know their reputation for the ML isn't what it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

the ml270 is a much newer and more modern design. the disco is really a classic range rover with different clothes on' while they are very capable, they are probably getting on a bit at this stage. id say the merc would turn out to be the better investment come resale time if its a good one. i would guess it would be more refined on road as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Go with the disco .A friend of mine has had both and the ml is a piece of s**t.He's had electrical problems /the crank pulley broke off/switches for windows stopped working/vibration from the drive shaft and the worst thing is they drive like a boat on the road but the do tow quiet well .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Merc will be a money pit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Friend had a Merc ML270 and had nothing but trouble. Bought it 4 years old, had 6 months grief with it and eventually gave it back to the garage where he bought it. Seemingly they aren't produced in Germany they're outsourced to the US or somewhere, which is supposedly the cause of most of the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

I would recommend the Land Rover. The Merc has more of a car feel to its driving and there have been issues with it reliability, plus the Land Rover is a far meaner looking monster and a much nicer ride.

Also the suspension in the Land Rover is far superior to the Merc therefore when you are using it to tow not so much wear and tear.

Bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

Land Rover all the way, dont touch the Merc!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I owned a ML 270 from 2005-2007, traded it in for 29K, ( I paid 33k in Australia). it was ok but servicing and a shot air mass sensor cost me 3k over 2 years.
    The computer would turn everything off if you went over a speed bump too fast ( scary in a 4x4).
    Its still for sale on carzone a year after I traded it. The worst thing about it was dealing with Mercedes Benz service - complete rubbish. Service in Australia 250 euro service in Ireland 1000 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Shortly after I posted this, I bought a 2003 Discovery TD5.
    I am delighted with it.
    It is very comfortable and very nice to drive.
    I haven't had much cause to take it far off road yet but I am confident it will do whatever I require of it.
    I have done some towing with it and you would hardly even notice you had anything behind you.

I would recommend a Discovery to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

aw wrote: »
    Shortly after I posted this, I bought a 2003 Discovery TD5.
    I am delighted with it.
    It is very comfortable and very nice to drive.
    I haven't had much cause to take it far off road yet but I am confident it will do whatever I require of it.
    I have done some towing with it and you would hardly even notice you had anything behind you.

I would recommend a Discovery to anyone.

Good choice, well wear:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

I currently own a 2001 Automatic Discovery. Yes, I've had "small" problems with it. But the ride is fantastic. Pulls like a train when towing, Fab off road. Easy to do basic service work on.

Disco +1

Merc -1

Advertisement